Graphical Corruption.

screw_ball69

Lately I have been occasionally getting Graphical corruption on my screen that leads to the screens turning off and coming back on or the computer crashing and restarting.

I think this may be my video card biting the bullet now that my warranty has run out, I uninstalled the drivers and the like and it doesnt happen quite as often.

The reason I am posting this is I would like a second opinion, what do you guys think.

Edit: the Video Card is Radeon 3870

try using new drivers or older drivers. As you suggested this sometimes happens with graphics cards when they are biting the bullet but can also happen when there is a bug in the driver. You didnt mention what OS you were using so its hard to diagnose the problem fully (it would really take a physical diagnsis) but I have noticed that windows causes alot of issues like this when a graphics driver is buggy or does not install correctly. With linux I have found that this driver issue does not happen as regularly and is more likely to be a hardware issue. I would still suggest trying other drivers first before you rule the card as dying :).

check the power settings(in control panel). windows 7(and vista) likes to turn off certain hardware when not in use. as for restarting, could be any number of things.

Who is the manufacturer of your card? I'd visit their website and download any "monitoring" software they have.

I had similar issues with my ASUS 9800GX2, I installed ASUS Smart Doctor. I removed the side of my case and also put the fan speeds upto 100%, during gaming it was hitting 122 Degrees Celsius, black screening and then crashing (I have dual monitors so I was able to see what the monitoring software was reporting on the other screen). I ended up removing the very pretty black plastic casing from around the card and the temperature has dropped to 70 degrees while under stress. Everything is working fine.