What to do with a 1U server case

Mad Pierre

Got myself a brand new 1U server last week, bare case with PSU. for the price of £10. however i've got no uber lower profile heatsink's that can be fitted to two spare Atlhon XP class mobo's I have. will the AMD chip be fine on a 1U heat sink with fan, or will it cook it

If its not in a well ventilated, cool area then perosnally I would add the 3 additional 40mm fans. The CPU should be ok IMO, but those cases are designed to be put in a room with air con.

Not designed to be quite either. I recall one time where a colleague had to setup a CUDA machine in a 1U case. It had 4 Xeon processors and two Tesla processors. The front of the case had 4 40mm fans, each CPU had a 40mm fan, each Tesla had 4 40mm fans. It was ridiculously loud, in the vicinity of vacuum cleaner loud.

We've got one of those at work, I think it's got 2 x 40mm fans and that damned thing is freaking loud. I'm glad it's in the server room.

My guess why it's so loud is that the 2 fans have to be set for high RPMs to get the air flowing over the CPU.

They be Delta focused flow fans, ridiculous amount of CFM (i.e. over 120 CFM from a 40mm fan... regular fans at this size do about 5 CFM for this size) but you don't want them anywhere near your ears. Because the case is so small and cramped you have to resort to pushing a huge amount of air through the thing to make the heat sinks work correctly.

Aye. On the one we've got at work, there's a duct directing the air from the two fans directly over the CPU.

If I ever decide to get a rack-mount, I'll probably get a 3U or 4U case, since I don't think a U1 could handle 5 3.5" HDDs (4 of them hot-swap).

/offtopic

I can't see the point in a rack case without a rack tbh, unless you get a half-depth case then its just a bit of a waste of space. I'd rather install multiple 5 disk backplanes into a case like this. Although, if you put 15 disks into a single case, then your asking for trouble without climate control.

Now, this is a case I'd like to have.