EU fines Microsoft 280.5 million euros for non-compliance

DLSS

(my reaction , pay up bitch !! :lol: )

origin -> http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...OSOFT-EU-DC.XML

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Commission fined Microsoft (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) 280.5 million euros ($357.3 million) on Wednesday to punish its failure to comply with a landmark 2004 antitrust ruling.

The tough new penalty is the first of its kind and comes on top of a record 497 million euro fine the Commission imposed on Microsoft in March 2004 for abusing its dominant position.

The fine covers the period from December 16 last year, the deadline set by EU regulators for Microsoft to make available key information to rivals, to June 20. It was computed by multiplying 187 days of violations at 1.5 million euros per day.

"Microsoft has still not put an end to its illegal conduct. I have no alternative but to levy penalty payments for this continued non-compliance," Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said.

The fine fell short of a possible maximum 2 million euros per day. If Microsoft fails to comply with the Commission ruling by July 31, it would face a maximum possible fine of 3 million euros per day.

Microsoft says it has made huge efforts to comply with the Commission's 2004 ruling and has 300 people working to meet the EU executive's requirements by July 18. It calls the fine unjustified, but says that will not slow its effort to comply.

In 2004, the Commission ruled Microsoft squeezed out rivals by withholding information that would help them make server software that could run as smoothly on Microsoft's ubiquitous Windows operating system as its own server software does.

The Commission had ordered Microsoft to provide that information by June 2004.

But Microsoft's offerings failed to meet its standards. One of the company's remedies was judged by a special Commission representative as "fundamentally flawed."

microsof allready had to pay up 777,5 milion euros in total for abusing their monopoly position !!! :lol:

Would this mean that if MS desided not to comply with the EU they would pull out of the Europe like Apple threatened to do with the iPod in France?

The way to work weatehr or not MS should pull out of Europe is to find out how much revinue MS get from Europe on a daily basis and then if it's less then then amount they are going to be fined they should pull out. Of course the phrase "If I lose €1,000,000,000 a year I will go bankrupt in 31 years" applies.