Need suggestiosn for PC running hot.

Deags

29728148.jpg This was taken just now it's about 20degress C room temp because it's night and i haven't been gaming just chatting.

So i don't have sli everything in the PC is quite low end. the PSU runs pretyt hot which i assume does not help much. One GPU is onboard and the other is a 8500GT hybird SLI.

It's pretty much been like this since new(1 and a bit years). But the noise is annoying me. I'm not real sure what to do here. My mate reckons new case but i feel that may be too much money. The fans are in a front to back formation.

I think if i were to have a hole in the top. a fan infront of the warmer hdd. buy some small fan to put in a slot at the back so the gPU can be cooler and hoepfully the MB and other GPU cool done because of the hole in the top.

I'm just turning it off at night for now. however every now and then i want to DL a torrent

Clean it for starters. PSU'nits can hold a lot of dust, and thus over heat the rest fo the machine. Clean all dust from the machine(use a grounding strap and a small brush and can of air) get all the dust you cna out of it, then possibly re-apply some arctic grease to the CPU. Reroute cables for better airflow, and check to make sure all fans are working properly. PSU fans tend to get slower over time to the point they may not even be working at all, which could be the main heat source.

The 1 hdd that is hotter than the other, are they stacked one on top of another? Do you have additional slots to move them apart? You can by HDD fans or even another exhaust fan for the case and it might help bring down temps a bit as well, but if its been like this from day one, try upgrading all the fans, clean everything and re-route cables, and if needed replace overheating PSU with something that gets better airflow.

I recently cleaned mine and reapplied some grease to the CPU and lowered both my noise and temps. Noise went away immediately(from cleanign the fans), but temps only came down like 3-5 degrees. Ill post my results as soon as I do another snapshot.

Here are my results from CPU-z's Hardware Monitor

temperatures.jpg

The most impact for the least amount of cost, after cleaning it, is your heat sink paste/grease. I had this same tube for years:

OCZ Ultra 5+, Silver Thermal Compound.

"Ultra High Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound"

Basically you want paste that will never 'cook' and harden.. I have never seen or heard of this stuff cooking which is good, that allows the best movement of your heat.. I also after buying my GPUs, which I love EVGA, will take those apart and re-paste them.. This process allows you to put on better paste if you are getting the nice stuff i do, and insures that all the screws are all the way down(that can be loose in shipping) making sure of the smallest gap

I wholeheartedly agree with digip and SirWolfgang, repaste your proc asap and video card. I redid the whole bit with my nvidia 8600gts (gpu + memory chips) and while it didn't really make that much of a difference with it.. maybe 1 or 2 degrees difference, but it's piece of mind. My wife's (horrible XPS 200!) was overheating bigtime, and I found the paste was baked dry.

Honestly I have seen some pretty dusty psus and cpus in my time, but believe it or not it never really posed much of a problem with overheating (though it's not like it hurts to clean it out)

Until then, I suggest a box fan/open case fan assembly :P

*EDIT* Update..

DAMN! Never realized just how hot my laptop gets when gaming... Guess I got you beat there Deags but.. this is clean and the whole bit + a laptop no doubt (not overclocked either) though it is an older style nvidia w/8200m g graphics.

Fresh alt+tab out of Sauerbraten>default settings/detail @1280x800

sauretemplaptop.jpg

*btw, it's colder than eskimo p***y in here right about now*

(hmm.. still got that geeksquad warranty.. xbox towel treatment anyone?) :X

sauretemplaptop.jpg

*btw, it's colder than eskimo p***y in here right about now*

If it is as cold as you say it is, then I think whomever wrote that utility you use has their C and F degrees backwards. If it were really 85 celcius, your farenheit would be almost 200 degrees farenheit, at which point, your machine would be extremely hot, if not at component damaging temps. Maybe under full load, but even then, thats not a good temp to be at for long periods of time. Under full load, my machine probably stops shy of 68-70C for GPU and CPU, maybe less than 65C. Are you overclocking or just running the shit out of the damn thing?

I leave my machien run 24/7, 365 days a year, and only reboot if I want to load my dual boot, or need to update something, like software Patches, or cleaning the case, but I never see temps like that.

Well that's what I was thinking too. Surely it was not getting that hot, but then speed fan shows the same output (just less of it. No support for my hdd temp sensor or mb temp sensor) This is Nvidia's System Monitor I was running. But that was when gaming (albeit not long either).

While surfing/etc. here is the temps right now:

templow.jpg

And it's colder in here now than it was last night... Heater isn't keeping up.

I also found by this website (which I have used before and seems fairly accurate) the actual maximum running temp for this chip is 100c

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlo...L60DAM22GG.html

**BTW, no over clock whatsoever.***

My desktop (albeit a lot more cool-friendly) is pretty compairable to the laptop. AMD 5600+ @ 2.8ghz. Aside from the actual ghz, everything architectually is almost the same between the two (minus hdd/vid crd) and the desktop runs just like yours @ around the same speeds.

The only thing I can think of, is being a really cheap performance chip(s) for the vid crd and proc, it's just a hot runner.. But I have never seen these temps before. My desktop won't get that hot (auto shutdown or lockup before even trying to get near these temps)

Truely this is a weird one. While I will say that the temp is almost too typical of the video card, not for a comparable proc.

But it runs completely stable. even when I was running sauerbraten it kept it's agility and correctness.

I mean I never checked the temps before now, so maybe it is just what it is. Feeling wise, it's always been this hot.

overclocking really isn't/shouldn't be a heat issue.. As long as your cooling can support the CPU & GPU at 100% overclocking will just make things run a little faster. When overclocking, with in the "safe area", All motherboards the allow overclocking will stop booting when you push it too far as a safety measure(at which point you jump it to reset the BIOS).

Old Skool rules say the only intake fan should be your power supply.. but current cases are moving to either your front or bottom being intake, and it leaves out the top back(where the power supply is on old form factors) which is why you see newer nice cases having the PSU on the bottom

How new is the power supply? On my system, all my internal fans except the power supply suck air in and the pwr sup blows air out, but then my power supply has a 120mm fan and it sucks really well, so it keeps up with all the 80mm fans

How new is the power supply? On my system, all my internal fans except the power supply suck air in and the pwr sup blows air out, but then my power supply has a 120mm fan and it sucks really well, so it keeps up with all the 80mm fans

Are you sure about that..? The whole point of cooling takes heat away for the hot areas.. filtering it thru your PSU sound like a bad idea, and a fast way to kill/cook your powersupply

Intake fans at the bottom front, expellers at the top back. That maintains a constant airflow that keeps things from melting. If on the floor, get some fan filters.

I've been building gaming machines for years, and high end hackintoshes for people who have to use OSX, and I always make sure the machine has decent airflow. If you don't understand the basics, get someone who does to help you, otherwise you'll end up cooking your machine.

DSCF0778.jpg

In my case the PSU sucks air from under the case, via a fan filter, and exhausts straight out the back, the air from it does not enter the rest of the case. At the top I've three slow moving 120mm fans blowing air over a radiator, bottom front I've two 120mm pulling air in. Constant air pressure means constant air flow, which means superior cooling. Having all your fans pulling air in from all over the place is a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Well your CPU is at a much better temp. GPUs tend to run rather hot normally, but they are within their safety limit on your pc.

If you can afford it, I'd say replace the cooler on your CPU with a different one, if Core 2 Duo/Quad use an Artic Freezer 7 Pro or Fenrir Titan. If AMD based, Fenrir Titan also. Clean off all the TIM first before mounting the new ones with new TIM.