One In Six Uses Firefox ! :D

DLSS

origin -> http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?a...RSSfeed_TechWeb

1124114533.jpg

One In Six Uses Firefox

By Gregg Keizer, TechWeb Technology News

Mozilla Corp.'s Firefox browser has gained more than a percentage point in global market share since May, a Dutch Web analytics firm said Monday, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer dropped under the 80 percent mark in the U.S. for the first time since it took on Netscape.

Amsterdam-based OneStat reported that Firefox now accounts for 12.9 percent of browsers used worldwide, and 15.8 percent of those used in the U.S. Microsoft's IE, meanwhile, fell to 83.1 percent globally and 79.8 percent in the U.S.

"It seems that the global usage share of Mozilla Firefox started to grow rapidly again after a period of no growth" said Niels Brinkman, co-founder of OneStat, in a statement. As Firefox gained 1.1 percent since May, IE lost 2.1 percent of its share in the same period. Other browsers, notably Opera -- which reached the 1 percent mark -- and Safari, which accounts for 3.3 percent of the U.S. browser market, picked up the slack.

Of the countries for which data was available, Firefox held its biggest share in Germany (39 percent) while Internet Explorer did its best in the U.K. (86.2 percent). Opera owns 4.6 percent of the market share in Australia.

Opera unveiled its v. 9.0 edition last month, while Mozilla and Microsoft are slated to launch their respective Firefox 2.0 and Internet Explorer 7 in final form before the end of 2006.

So 16.7% of users use Firefox? Sounds about right. Even though it realy should be closer to like 95%.

In due time my friend, in due time.

It's bad when friends come over and use my windows box, the first thing they ask, "Where's ie?" And everytime I just about smack them.

So 16.7% of users use Firefox? Sounds about right. Even though it realy should be closer to like 95%.

In due time my friend, in due time.

It's bad when friends come over and use my windows box, the first thing they ask, "Where's ie?" And everytime I just about smack them.

yeah and most ppl just think that ie(browser) is the internet :x

it drives me mad , ive just spent 20 minutes explaining why ie is dangerous and FF is better and then they say , but i need IE to connect to the internet . :x :x

yeah and most ppl just think that ie(browser) is the internet :x

it drives me mad , ive just spent 20 minutes explaining why ie is dangerous and FF is better and then they say , but i need IE to connect to the internet . :x :x

Ha, my family does the same thing. I just recently got them to start using FF on their computer (even though it's been installed for over a year) and every clean-up and repair session I've had since then has been infinitly easier for me (no more viruses, much less spyware).

They still wonder why they havn't had a crash or lock-up since they've started using FF.

i would prefer the stat to stay under 50% actually

more popular a program gets, more attacks are aimed towards it

True but wouldn't you agree that many of the 'attackers' out there probably use FF and one of the main reasons for why IE is targeted so much is because it's a Microshaft application? Yes, if FF were to pass IE in the usage polls then a few more people would take aim on FF but because it's a community build app, the chances of anything serious occuring is considerably less.

i would use firefox but i find that it takes twice as long to load up as IE. it seems to take twice as long to load the same website in ff then in IE. not to meantion all the memory leaks that are in it now. It use to be fine but it seems it is just going down hell now.

Yeah, they seriously need to fix some of the firefox bugs, and also have some kinda system for "extensions we know will work, and not make it crash every 5 seconds". Firefox is good, but the crashes are annoying.

No should be 95% Firefox, Opera, Avant, etc...

nope shud b 95% FF , 4% Opera , 1% other

Firefox didn't crash once on Linux but it crashed a lot on windows, mostly when I had multiple tabs open. I would use Opera if it wouldn't have a session saver and X on every tab.

Edit: You can disable all that stuff in Opera. :)

It's interesting that you guys have has crashes in your experiences with FF because I've never had one and on average I'm running 4+ tabs, and many extentions.

Heh, I switched my mother over to Firefox i was tired of cleaning up her computer every week. she gets confused so I threw on the IE skin, she doesnt get how it works, and why its better than IE. But i probably just caused my self more problems because she is still learning how to use firefox. She gets easily confused

Except for thoughs users who know what a web browser is but say "Just put AOL on to it" even after you explain how bad that software is and you can make it do the exact same thing that AOL's software does and faster and more secure with out AOL's nasty software. That reminds me, for the first time in a long time I had to setup a Dell out of the box today. 55 processes running by default. I managed to cut it down to about 35 with out removing the functionality the users wanted, but 55... wtf?!

i just downloaded opera to try it out, and if you ask me it is 120 times better then ff, it doesnt even take long to load up like ff. And it seems to load pages just as fast as IE.

• 5 weeks later...