getting my Atheros ar5007eg to work right with aircrack

spaik

hi

i have a toshiba satellite a305d laptop. and it has an atheros ar5007eg wifi card. i use ubuntu 9.10 and i want to use aircrack-ng but i dont know what to do. i searched a little bet and saw the wiki and everything but i still dont know what to do or how to do it. can anyone please help.

thanks for ur time

i have aircrack installed and i did what u said

spaik@ubuntu:~$ sudo airmon-ng start wlan0 1

Found 5 processes that could cause trouble.
If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!

PID    Name
1139    avahi-daemon
1140    avahi-daemon
1219    NetworkManager
1301    wpa_supplicant
4046    dhclient
Process with PID 4046 (dhclient) is running on interface wlan0
Process with PID 8175 (dumpcap) is running on interface wlan0

Interface    Chipset        Driver

wlan0        Atheros     ath5k - [phy0]
                (monitor mode enabled on mon0)

so what does that mean..

and when i try to test the injection

spaik@ubuntu:~$ sudo aireplay-ng -9
No replay interface specified.
"aireplay-ng --help" for help.

i know i am still learning but i want to learn about this issues and maybe work in the security field so thanks for ur time :)

Forgot to mention the following:

You need to disable the crazy auto network tool in Ubuntu (just right click and turn it off), it 'tries to take over the world', that is to say, it does every thing it can to keep you computer connected to a network, which results in several other things not working.

Also aireplay needs a network adapter on the end, so it's actually 'aireplay-ng -9 <adapter name>'.

Also, my experience with Ubuntu and ath5k driver is that once the network manager has had it's grubby hands on it packet injection won't work (at least in 9.04). There is probably a better way than this, but the simplest way to make sure packet injection is working is to blacklist the ath5k driver if you need packet injection, restart, then disable the network manager and load ath5k manually.

Well, for me personally I have the same network card, and in ubuntu it's almost always pointed toward the drivers. For some reason, Ubuntu's built in/repository drivers don't usually support the functions of aircrack-ng, so I just got the tarball and built from source.

*btw, make sure you do an 'airmon-ng ath0 start' (if i remember correctly anyways) to put the card in promiscuous listening mode, and make sure you don't have anything else running that will interfere with it*

thanks all for ur time.

now i can listen and collect ivs, but i cant inject and i know that i have to patch the wifi card to inject os if there is anyone who knows how to patch the card i will be very thankful for that.

thanks again u r the best community and the best show.