Microsoft Argo

davepwnt

It depends, iPods sucsess was based on providing a cool gadget with a good service to back it up. If MS make there service easyer to use, cheaper, higher quality or 3rd party compatibility, they have a winner. The xBox 360 live service shows that they can do it if they try. Who here wants an iPod but cant afford to drop £200-£300 on a iPod?

Not they won't VaKo, the iPod, as well as been a portable music player, is more a fashion item then a music player. Which is one of the reasons I hate them and they are bad, becasue chavs buy them to *yuck* 'Show off der bling'.

True, but these things aren't set in stone, they can change. So saying the new mp3 player from X will never beat the ipod is a little silly. 2/3 years ago most of the chavs hadn't heard of an iPod, or knew what it was for, and tbh the iPod has had no serious compition in the west yet. If MS can remake the ipod cheaper & better, with a good online service, then i doubt people will keep buying iPods just because. iPods sales aren't going to dry up overnight, but as more serious compition starts up we will see a shift away from iPods.

If MS were to provide an iTunes like service (99 cent songs) but in higher quality (vbr 192 kbps minimum) I wouldn't mind swtiching to an MS supported mp3 player. But I can only imagine the genunine advantage bullshit that application would come with - Making sure i have a license for every damn song.

It's the fact that at the moment, iPods are the biggest thing in music right now. To come out with an Audio player right now, (within in the next 3 months) doesn't seem too much of a money maker. If I were microsoft, I would launch it if iPods get shut down. Then they could make all their money off of old iPod listeners. But right now, iPods <3

If MS were to provide an iTunes like service (99 cent songs) but in higher quality (vbr 192 kbps minimum) I wouldn't mind swtiching to an MS supported mp3 player. But I can only imagine the genunine advantage bullshit that application would come with - Making sure i have a license for every damn song.

Erm they already do it's in conjunction with MTV and it's already bundled into the Vista Media player... urge.com

$9.99 per month for unlimited access or $99 for a year ATM its all based on plays for sure and your tunes will stop playingafter so long when you stop subscribing (or so I've read)... it's more like rental than purchasing, but they claim to have more tunes than iTunes lol