Anti Virus for 10 clients

jenken

Hi guys, can you recommend some Anti Virus for around 10 clients desktop and laptop and also for a couple of servers. I was told by a friend to check out the Norton ent. but as of my previous experience norton slows a computer makes it almost worthless.

Hi guys, can you recommend some Anti Virus for around 10 clients desktop and laptop and also for a couple of servers. I was told by a friend to check out the Norton ent. but as of my previous experience norton slows a computer makes it almost worthless.

Symantec has gotten better. However, I prefer NOD32 or AVG's centralised client-server platforms. NOD32 has left no performance footprint on any machine I have used thus far.

Check it out. We use Symantec Endpoint as a product for our customers where I work at, but I am seriously trying to move to a better client-server platform.

NOD32: http://www.eset.com/products/nod32_business.php

AVG: http://www.avg.com/us-en/business-security

Check those out. Let me know how you like them.

I can recommend that you should avoid McAfee because it is targeted by many virus, is slow to receive definition updates, won't tell you when it's broken and is all round rubbish. It is one of the cheapest though, so if you want to tick the "Anti-Virus installed on all machines" PCI compliance check box and nothing more this will do it.

Sparda if you just want to tick the box then install Clam AV, or is it not an AV because the business didn't pay for the certs or whatever?

That works too, but ClamWin has no real time scanner, so I don't think it counts, by all means use ClamAV on all non windows machines.

some time ago when a smiliar question was raised Matt made the suggestion of Vyper antivirus and said that it was the bomb

Might want to do some homework and see if that might be an option for you as well

Forgot about that one. Vyper was in direct competition with ESET's product lines.

I'd definitely check them out. I know I will be over the next few days, now. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm also going to go with NOD32.

I really don't like Symantec. They're better than they were a few years ago, but still bloated. BitDefender has to be the worst I've ever used - it's a cow and we've had nothing but problems with it. Viper isn't too bad and is light weight, but we've found that it has let a few things through that it shouldn't.

NOD32 is the only one I've found that works good consistently, has a nice administrative interface for you as the admin (lets you push, monitor who has updated recently, etc.), and isn't a system resource hog.

You need to dedicate an entire server for Symantec's enterprise offerings these days. And even then they don't work right. I swear they took what wasn't a bad product and sent it right into the crapper.

I've been very happy with the free version of Avira's AntiVir product, but have no experience with their enterprise stuff. If anybody here does, I'd be very interested in opinions, thoughts, etc.

My thumb is up for either ESET Nod32 or Kaspersky for business use. I'm no longer a fan of Mcafee nor would I wish Norton on my worse enemy.

One item I have been trying lately is the Immunet Project beta cloud anti virus solution. The nice item is that since it is cloud based, I can run another anti virus directly on my Windows XP virtual machine at the same time.

Thanks guys for all the inputs! I think I'll go with either NOD32 or Kaspersky which ever is the cheapest one?

Kaspersky personal price: $59.99 USD a pop (Business editions you'll need to call 1-781-503-2620)

NOD32 Home editions: $39.99 a pop (Business edition : ~$429 USD for 10 users.)

Hope that helps.

For home laptops I've been using and install Avira's AntiVir.

For my own stuff I use ESET NOD32. I've actually signed up and become a ESET reseller, I just don't have any method of taking payment yet, but once I do I'll let you know and pass on any discount they provide (I belive its around a 30% saving)

For home laptops I've been using and install Avira's AntiVir.

For my own stuff I use ESET NOD32. I've actually signed up and become a ESET reseller, I just don't have any method of taking payment yet, but once I do I'll let you know and pass on any discount they provide (I belive its around a 30% saving)

Yep. Existing NOD users can actually *ahem* (I shouldn't be saying this...) use a single license on multiple PCs. I know because I tried. Also, existing user accounts (EAV-xxxxxxx) get discounts when their subscription period ends. Not too sure on estimating the discount but I use NOD wherever I can.

Otherwise, its AVG FREE X.x (Even though AVG is getting a bit bloated...) or *cringe* MS Security Essentials (For HOME PCs only).

MSSE is decent for basic protection. I set up my family with a custom rig this christmas and used MSSE and Comodo Personal Firewall for basic protection, and there is almost 0 footprint on system performance when running MSSE in the background.

Anyways, I hope all you NOD users are careful with the info given out above ^^^^ I've never used a single license on more than 3 PCs, so watch out. I don't know if they have an authentication limit similar to DRM.

When I first got into "this game" ;) I found a website with loads of ESET EAV-xxxxxxx accounts and passwords, they worked well for a few days, but then you'd have to go back and try a new account as they kept getting locked out. I then finally finished University and started buying legal copies of things :)

When I first got into "this game" ;) I found a website with loads of ESET EAV-xxxxxxx accounts and passwords, they worked well for a few days, but then you'd have to go back and try a new account as they kept getting locked out. I then finally finished University and started buying legal copies of things :)

Glad I'm not the only one who knew about it.

By the way, I used a single license on 3 PCs for an entire year with Eset NOD32 v3 =p

My thumb is up for either ESET Nod32 or Kaspersky for business use......

It took a while for kaspersky to come into this topic (i'm a KIS/KAS fan)... but none the less. .. ... as long as Av's are concerned it is up for you to decide, but i would advice you that it should not be the only line of defense..... i'm managing an internet cafe with 11 or so machines,9 thin clients, linux file server etc ... used all the above mentioned AV, but the machines still get infected,, leading the network to be infected decreasing performance.. best solution i could come up with was to run an AV with Deep Freeze (or some kind of program that does the same thing)... reduces hassels

i'm managing an internet cafe with 11 or so machines,9 thin clients, linux file server etc ... used all the above mentioned AV, but the machines still get infected,, leading the network to be infected decreasing performance.. best solution i could come up with was to run an AV with Deep Freeze (or some kind of program that does the same thing)... reduces hassels

That does sound like a good solution for that situation. I use Avast! on my home machines (minus server, which is using BitDefender). At work they run McAfee or AVG.

I prefer Avast, but BitDefender is high up on the list as well.

That does sound like a good solution for that situation. I use Avast! on my home machines (minus server, which is using BitDefender). At work they run McAfee or AVG.

I prefer Avast, but BitDefender is high up on the list as well.

it is, trying to get rid of the thin clients. dont like them.

the point of my "short story" was to say that you have to come up with a solution to your own problem. because any anti-virus will do your job.

PS:Anti -virus's are not foolproof

It took a while for kaspersky to come into this topic (i'm a KIS/KAS fan)... but none the less. .. ... as long as Av's are concerned it is up for you to decide, but i would advice you that it should not be the only line of defense..... i'm managing an internet cafe with 11 or so machines,9 thin clients, linux file server etc ... used all the above mentioned AV, but the machines still get infected,, leading the network to be infected decreasing performance.. best solution i could come up with was to run an AV with Deep Freeze (or some kind of program that does the same thing)... reduces hassels

Yep offcourse not, I only need the Anti-virus for clients that always plugs flash drive for to have a copy of their work and possibly to do their work at home

• 3 months later...

I think you should use Avast Internet Security, not because others have recommended but because I use on my every day duties and it never let me down.

Here are the main technologies:

* Improved Antivirus and anti-spyware engine

* New avast! Sandbox

* New Silent Firewall

* New Antispam

* New Behavior Shield

* New avast! Intelligent Scanner

* New Silent/Gaming Mode

* Real time anti-rootkit protection

* avast! Community IQ

* Behavioral Honeypots

* Smart virus updates

* Green computing

* avast! iTrack

* File System / Mail Shield

* Web Shield

* IM / P2P Shield

* Network Shield

* Script Shield

Edited by Infiltrator

• 1 month later...

I'm actually surprised no one has brought up COMODO's offerings. I was a huge fan of Nod32 until I started messing around with COMODO's FREE security suite. It's now on the few M$ machines I have laying around the house. The AV is spot on and easily comparable to Nod32 and it's free. Might want to check out their AV (You can get it separately from the suite if you don't need a soft firewall or clientside IDS). The v4 beta client also has the sandbox feature which Darren reviewed in ep. 703.

Edited by mux