Zipit Z2

NEWDAN

OK I got the Zipit Z2 and finally got loaded with the Deb Linux suggested in the episode. Very cool

Question is there a forum for customizing this thing?

I’m having problems with Dillio and other apps in fluxbox, seems most of the apps are not the correct size. is there a .rc or some config file I can edit to get it to stay at 320×240 all the time? Can I get/use larger SC cards? cause I’m having a hard time getting 2GB cards. 4 and 8Gb seem to be easier to get a hold of. Can I get gcc to work on this platform and will it fit on the 2GB card? where is the Pipes key? How do I alt tab into another instance of the terminal or fluxbox? Sorry for all the questions. A forum for this on the hak5 boards would be great.

NEWDAN

New Dumb A$$ Nubbie

I've looked over your post and I'll hit some key points. You do not compile on the device, it would be very slow. What you need to learn to do is cross compile, check out Scratchbox. Scratchbox is fairly easy to install, get running and use on your host machine, just install it on a Debian VM if you're a Windows user. The issue with cross compiling is you often need to tweak the code to get it to run correctly on the target device. Some times things need a rewrite.

I don't think the device is high capacity compatible, but I've never tried. I've just built apps for friends with the Z1 and Z2 over the years. 2GB is big enough for most things. you could want to do, don't get me wrong, you will be hard pushed getting GPSdrive or any mapping software working with a good collection of maps if you do a serial mod.

pipe is either Shift+BackSpace or Alt+BackSpace (my zipit is hiding at my friends house so i can't tell you which, but it's probably Shift+BackSpace) ;)

EDIT:the pipe is: alt+that_little_smiley_face_button_that_you_use_to_control_the_mouse

(when you haven't done startx)

• 5 months later...
pipe is either Shift+BackSpace or Alt+BackSpace (my zipit is hiding at my friends house so i can't tell you which, but it's probably Shift+BackSpace) ;)

EDIT:the pipe is: alt+that_little_smiley_face_button_that_you_use_to_control_the_mouse

(when you haven't done startx)

I also have the Debian loaded on my ZipIt, but I have noticed a somewhat serious problem.

My friend and I both bought ZipIt's, and hacked them with the same userland (rootnexus) because we both liked it.

Though, we noticed both devices now have the exact same WiFi mac address, which anyone can tell is a big problem if both end up on the same network, which it's likely we may in our circumstances.

Is there any known way to force one of the ZipIt's to a new MAC?

EDIT: Also, I have no clue if I am missing something obvious or not, but when I attempt to use the MP3 player on Root Nexus's image using headphones, no matter what pair I attempt to use, the headphones work fine but the speaker is still playing and each time the headphone jack is definitely in as far as possible.

Also, where is everybody finding dillo? apt-get fails to have it, and I even searched the older userland for it, the one in the first Hak5 show, but I found an armel deb for Ubuntu that appears to be working.

Edited by RedPenguin