Rubik's Cube

Kerberos

I've been wondering for a while, does anybody else in the Hak5 community like solving Rubik's Cubes? How? Brute force and a little luck? Petrus or Fridrich F2L? How many algos have you memorized, if any? Fastest time? Anybody build their own custom cubes? I hope at least one or two of you at least know what I'm talking about...

I haven't played with mine recently, but I did build a PHP script to solve it :D

Sweet :P Is it user-friendly and designed for public use, or more for personal use? How do you input the initial state of the cube? Does it try to solve it efficiently (with the least amount of moves) or does it just solve it normally? Does it use any methods/algorithms?

I started to design a basic encryption algorithm based on the movement of rubik's cubes a while ago, but I don't think I ever finished it...

Sweet :P Is it user-friendly and designed for public use, or more for personal use? How do you input the initial state of the cube? Does it try to solve it efficiently (with the least amount of moves) or does it just solve it normally? Does it use any methods/algorithms?

I started to design a basic encryption algorithm based on the movement of rubik's cubes a while ago, but I don't think I ever finished it...

I cant even remember the name of the algorithm used it was that long ago. It was using PHP-CLI (when it first came out), and the input was like "side#-x-y-colour:side#-x-y-colour" so not very user friendly, it was more of something to do rather than trying to build something for public use.

I got one last christmas and tried for hours trying to finish it :P. I remember reading somewhere that you need to match the middle, left right up and down squares first and do the corners last :) there is an algorithm you can keep repeating at a certain stage that will solve the rubix cube.

I "bruteforced" it the first time around for the fun of it, then I did it with some guide thing wich actually was pretty neat (I have no idea about the name it came with the cube) now it just sits in my bookshelf

Haha sounds like the good ol' "peel the stickers off" and "take it apart and rebuild it solved" methods are still the most common :P. If anybody wants to learn how to solve it (other than with time and luck), it's not that hard, I can tell/show you the way I do it. I go back and forth between two different methods for the first two layers, both of which are intuitive (you don't have to learn/memorize any algorithms). However for the last layer I think you basically have to either learn the algorithms (whichever ones you choose) or somehow learn the intricate juggling of moving pieces without screwing up the first two layers. Personally I just went with the algorithms (I only need about 4 to solve the last layer). Actually...I've never heard of anyone that can do the last layer intuitively...maybe nobody can? :S

Also, I should mention that I'm not going for speed. The algorithms I use are all designed for speed, but the way I use them is quite slow :P

I'm glad at least a few people still like Rubik's Cubes though. I've only ever seen one or two other people (IRL, not online) with a Rubik's Cube before :(. But they still amaze people apparently. I managed to score a free lunch one time because of it. I was walking past a pizza store in a mall and one of the people working there said they'd buy me lunch if I could solve my Rubik's Cube in less than three minutes. About two minutes later I had myself a free lunch ;).

I used to try n solve them when I was little. farthest I ever got was 4 sides. Then I got frustrated and just changed the stickers.

I can do "rubik's magic puzzle"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_Magic

in less than 10 seconds from initial state to complete. If its all screwed up though, all bets are off.

As far as the cube, I'm getting better, I can actually manipulate the squares and move some around like I want, vs when I was a kid, just randomly turning it.

Yeah...I can't do those :( I think I'd rather live my life instead of spend it trying to solve one of them, let alone all of them :P Pretty intense stuff... I want one of the Isis and Ramsis.