The perfect linux server

miT

Eww, don't use TorrentFlux - Unless you like python based clients that spawn new processes for each torrent. Not very fun when you're seeding 6,000 Linux Distros.

rTorrent <3

I actually moved from rTorrent to Torrentflux. Sure it spawns a python process for each torrent, but i'm not exactly seeding 6k distros. I also use the ability to create user accounts within Torrentflux so users on irc.omgirc.com can download some things. It's nice to jump in and see what people decided to download :)

Just off the top of my head....

OpenSSH, OpenVPN, vsftpd/proftpd, squid, apt-cacher, samba/SWAT, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, Ruby on Rails, rtorrent/Torrentflux, aMule, (something for NZB?)

Also, development tools, VIM, gcc, g++, QT4, mit-scheme, sun-java6-jdk

Also, might as well build it into a Mythbuntu backend.

That's all I can think of for now.

- Webmin

N0000b

- Torrentflux

rtorrent TF is ban by a lot of trackers etc ..

- SABnzbd Plus (HTTP Front-end for Newsgroup downloads)

FTW

FIXED Yahoo rotten tomatoes newzbin nzb DVD sabnzbd downloader

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=...amp;_render=rss

http://www.tvnzb.com/tvnzb_new.rss

http://www.rmccurdy.com/public_images/sabnzbd_filters.jpg

- irssi (Text based IRC Chat client)

FTW

- Museek (Soulseek music download daemon)

what.cd

- Eggdrop IRC Bot (*does the robot*)

FTW

- Hamachi VPN (Free and easy VPN solution that even my grandma can understand)

openvpn

http://www.rmccurdy.com/scripts/openvpn%20...%20bridged.html

im freeBSD guy my mythbox is linux tho

Edited by operat0r_001

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry about the late replies guys, i've been working on a user requested "Perfect Kubuntu Desktop" which will be similar to my other "Perfect Desktop" video/tutorial.

Yes a Mythbuntu or boxee setup would be cool. Although anything that I can stream media to my TV would be good.

My next "Perfect linux server" video is adding mediatomb + a podcast grabber script that will auto download your favorite rev3 shows (i.e. Hak5) in HD so you can stream it on your network to other PC's or your HD TV via PS3. It would be really hard to put in Mythbuntu or Boxee on a headless linux server since there is no GUI.

i like it

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Great work miT!

Does anyone know of a replacement for TorrentFlux? It hasn't been updated since 6/2008 and though the webpage is still up, it's for sale. I found one called torquetorrent, but it looks more like a WIP.

rTorrent was last updated in 10/2010 and there are a couple web interfaces for it, so it appears to be the better choice at this time.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Great work miT!

Thanks! :)

Does anyone know of a replacement for TorrentFlux? It hasn't been updated since 6/2008 and though the webpage is still up, it's for sale. I found one called torquetorrent, but it looks more like a WIP.

My article is quite dated and im in the midst of testing my new "perfect server" with Ubuntu 10.10 before i go forward with a full write up and tutorial video. Torrentflux has basically been replaced by Torrentflux-b4rt. The b4rt version supports torrents, newsgroups and wget for direct downloads.

I currently have it running and have had no issues thus far.