Issue with my CRT monitor

Nick is Shaky

Currently I'm having a problem with my Philips 107S (107S1) CRT monitor. To my best description the issue is for the majority of the time my monitor produces a hourglass shape visual. I tried messing with the vertical and horizontal settings, but it didn't seem to help. The only thing that brings it back to normal is physically hitting the monitor which probably doesn't help the problem. This only temporarily fixes the issue until it goes back to the form of an hourglass. I'm trying to take this project on myself instead of buying a new monitor because times are very tight. Any suggestions or help appreciated.

To sum up my question/s:

How can I fix the monitor myself?

If I need to purchase a new monitor how should I go about choosing one?

Sounds like its worn out. Unless you have a backgorund in electronics, dont bother trying to fix it. In fact, dont open it. There are parts in a monitor that could kill you, even when the monitor was unplugged for years, certain parts retain electricy and you don't want it discharging on you as the ground!

If you like clunky CRT monitors, you can usually find cheap ones at the salvation army or thrift shops. If you are really strapped for cash, a refurbished LCD can go for as little as $30.00, but I would invest in a new LCD screen. Stay away from used parts, they already have hours of use on them and less life span.

How can I fix the monitor myself?

Very carefully! CRT's use very high voltages and a killingly high wattage.

The problem is most likely some nature of loose connection with regards to the magnets the change the direction of the electrons. If banging it fixes it, it probably not be obvious where the problem is.

I don't recommend you try and fix it on the basis that CRT monitors have allot of killing power if you touch or go near the wrong thing at the wrong time.

CRT's are nice to look at but newer LCD's are sho clear and crips these days, and much better screen format(think 16:9 widescreen lcd vs 4:3 crt's) with HDMI capabilities, its obviosu to go with a newer monitor format. HP makes really nice 22 inch screens. Im using their HP w1907 which has a max res of 1440x900, but the larger screens go much higher and are in the $250.00 ball park. Acer and Gateway make nice LCD and TFT's for affordable prices, adn they last a while. Dell, well, its dell, but their screens always seem flaky to me. Lots of refubs out there from Dell.

Funny, go to the review section. Found this gem in there:

N/A

Tech Level: high

Ownership: less than 1 day

This user purchased this item from Newegg 8/27/2009 7:27:43 PM

My children are dead

Pros: Don't have to listen to my kids whine anymore

Cons: Exploded while my kids were huddled around it. Killed all of them. All of their headstones say "The monitor ate me"

Other Thoughts: I might buy a boat now...

8 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...1&Keywords=

Try these top reviews on monitors:

http://www.newegg.com/FeedBack/CustratingA...=%28keywords%29

New question about my monitor since its in faulty condition is their anywhere I can recycle it for a little pocket change or free? A lot of the places i have been looking at charge a fee of the upwards of $10. Why should I pay to recycle? I'm already trying to save the earth should they try to save me in this economic crisis! Anyway I live in Fairfax, Virginia, United States of America if that helps. I'm gonna take it upon myself to find the best solution for this junk monitor.

Put a TV aerial on it and leave it on the side of the road, all my CRT's have been disposed of this way.

wtf, :lol: Can people not tell the difference?

• 2 weeks later...

Yah, I would go for either the craigslist option or the salvation army. (btw, I saw that either the salvation army or goodwill will ONLY take flatpanels/lcd monitors now, so that should be a viable option)

If your not broke as a joke, I would look around for a sceptre lcd. I bought mine on the waaaaaay cheap a year and a half ago (though back then it was $220 for this 20.1", but then for anything decent you were paying 320+) and it has not given me any probs. my spec: 2ms, 1680x1050.

oh! would you look at this! gee how my hard earned $220 has went down.

SCEPTRE X20WG-NagaII Black 20.1" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 - Retail $129.99

btw, the bad reviews... most of them are retard reviews (don't like the base/base isnt sturdy.. etc etc. etc.) Base is fine as long as you are competent enough to put two legos together you will have no problems with it. There are a few legitimate ones that are bad, but that's to be expected with any electronic device.

Oh yah, and the on board speakers? Unless you think the aspire one has a good speaker set, don't even plug them in