Fon/Fon+ Newbie Guide to Installlation of Jasager 1.0 Firmware

well, try to set the config onto that way:

vi /etc/config/network

go to your br-lan and give him some infos like these as example (this is runnin on my openwrt machine and works A grade if i connect it to my eee pc and do some ics action ^_^')

config 'interface' 'lan' //lan has to be br-lan or how its called

option 'ifname' 'eth0' // is different on br-lan or?

// above stuff is just to make life a bit easier for ya.. ^^'

option 'proto' 'static' // static configured adresses, not ip

option 'ipaddr' '192.168.0.2' // the ip

option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0' // the netmask

option 'dns' '192.168.0.1' //the dns / nameserver

option 'gateway' '192.168.0.1' //the router / gateway

so make one config yourself the way you need it, save the network config and reboot.

then it should work!

and remeber, you pc / gateway and fon have to be in the same subnet and ip range.

(so an 192.168.2.1 gateway and an 192.168.2.45 pc and and 192.168.2.68 fon all in 255.255.255.0 will do great!)

also remeber:

a) enable ssh by telneting the thingy and enter passwd, enter an password and logout. next time you try to connect, telnet won't work - only ssh. with root, password.

B) the website to configure the fon itself is broken. see 3.) Fixing Webif if you got opkg and everything up and running

greetings,

xeno

I just made the changes to my /etc/config/network file, changed my 'lan' connection, to 'br-lan'

and setup the ip address as you said, only thing is my ifname was already set to eth0.0 so I left it.

are those IP addresses the same way my entire environment should be setup? at my house my networks setup on the 192.168.0.* so I just dont want to have anything conflicting. I reset my machine after making the changes as you indicated above, and now I cant get the fon to ping out, and it wont ping its own address (I tried 192.168.0.1, 0.2, 1.1,

Finally, the last day of finals at school. Time to focus on getting this Fon working!

***ALSO*****

While still not having the IP working,

I changed the ssh password just using the serial connection,

I echo'd the line into the opkg file, but cant send it off because of no network access

I enabled the wireless, even thoguh I still dont see it broadcasting? is it supposed to?

I followed the "enable duplicate ports"

I activated and entered the firewall rules.

All this done, and Im still not sure of the fon status.

At this point in the game, should I be doing everything directly from fon to my laptop, using the wan port?

should I be doing anything with serial? Should I attach my fon to my home router via lan / wan so that It gets an outward internet connection?

And at the end result of all this, if Im not mistaken, I will be able to plug my fon into an ethernet source for traffic, and then I can also either wirelessly or wired connect into it, and sniff the packets that are on whatever interface jasager is associated with. Is this right? Can jasager associate with an access point wirelessly?

thats my config:

root@OpenWrt:/# opkg update

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09...ges/Packages.gz

Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)

Packages.gz 100% |*******************************| 143k 00:00:00 ETA

Inflating http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09...ges/Packages.gz

Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/snapshots

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /etc/config/network

config 'interface' 'loopback'

option 'ifname' 'lo'

option 'proto' 'static'

option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'

option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'

option 'type' 'bridge'

option 'proto' 'static'

option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.2'

option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

option 'ifname' 'eth0.0'

config 'interface' 'wan'

option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'

option 'proto' 'dhcp'

config 'interface' 'wifi'

option 'type' 'bridge'

option 'ifname' 'ath0'

option 'proto' 'static'

option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.2'

option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

option 'dns' '192.168.1.1'

root@OpenWrt:/# ifconfig

ath0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:84:A5:7F:F1

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:780 (780.0 B)

br-lan Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:84:A5:7F:F0

inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:84:A5:7F:F0

RX packets:187 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:90 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:159917 (156.1 KiB) TX bytes:8609 (8.4 KiB)

Interrupt:255 Base address:0x1000

eth0.0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:84:A5:7F:F0

eth0.1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:84:A5:7F:F0

inet addr:192.168.2.33 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

RX packets:187 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:79 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:156925 (153.2 KiB) TX bytes:5798 (5.6 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:839 (839.0 B) TX bytes:839 (839.0 B)

wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-18-84-A5-7F-F1-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1

TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:195

RX bytes:232 (232.0 B) TX bytes:1644 (1.6 KiB)

Interrupt:3 Memory:b0000000-b00ffffc

root@OpenWrt:/#

as you can see i can opkg now stuff.

i got my network into the wan (white) slot.

it does use dhcp client to get the correct data from your network router.

as for example, its set here to 192.168.2.33.

i can opkg update and stuff now, but NOT connect to that thingy via ssh.

i will need to work on that myself first, but got no time at the moment, as i'm doin' an big project with an fonera 2100 for the last weeks and am looking forward to getting results (creating an fonera with kismet server and gps logging, so basicly and small wardrive unit - theres an spanish website of some guy that did that - without kismet and such - but a) i don't understand spanish B) i want to make it the fancy way ;-)... so first soldering on an rs232 and an ttl connector with phantom power, soldering an ttl adaptor with phantom for the gps, soldering the gps, soldering an sd-card mod to the fonera, providing it with openwrt bleeding edge, setting up kismet, setting up gpsd, and getting the *hit runnin... actually i am at the latest step now after one week of serious 8 hours work / day ^^'''... ( i think the documentation will eat me alive.. but i made tons of pics and want to write one for this forum... ^^'')

so you see, I'm sorry for answering so late but I'm a busy man at the moment ;-)...

*hehe* all hail to the great fon! XDDD

Ladies and Gentlemen.....

After a very long couple months.....

JASAGER IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I think its all working too, Im trying to test it out. Any recommendations from you guys as to what to do now? (saving certain files, installing plugsins or anything)?

I know its out there somewhere, and trust me im searching, but if anyone could point me in the direction of figuring out how to make a wireless interface on my laptop, thats associated with an access point (Not the fon) the gateway for my fon, that way I can sniff completely wirelessly without having to be using an ethernet cable from a wall on the wan

Thanks so much guys!

xeno - your whole wardriving unit sounds pretty awesome! Id like to get something like that put together. What would be ideal, is to get two fons, one that auto connects to networks, and one that does the injecting, that way you can get a battery pack on there, hide it inside a stuffed animal and just leave it anywhere, to do its own thing, throw on an SD card and some scripts and you could have it running attacks on its own!

aw!!! awesome! ^.^

what did ya do to get it runnin? ^_^

nice to hear that you've completed it ^.^

*hihi*

yeah i was thinking about some thing like this myself.

thinking about the pure awesomeness of an fon running kismet and gpsd and looking up for "weak" accesspoint and then an cluster of fons starting to attack them in an distributed attack xD... that would be pure awesomeness XDDD... *hehe*. yeah from the hardware point of view its done, its now everything up to the software part on which i'm choking a bit, especially the part of the serial connection. i can point it in that way that i can disabled it so it does not have an linux console but "nothing" - and therefor can be easily attached to gpsd and accept the connected gps mouse. BUT, i myself came up with that idea: I want to use the reset switch of the fon to toggle the serial port state to "gps" and "console" - but that turns out to be a bit troublesome.

need to understand the inittab and working with the ash a bit better to get that done.

i got some workaround for turning on and off the console during the "fly" now, but its really quick 'n dirty...

and the reset button doesn'T work so i need to learn how to use the gpios from that in bleeding edge openwrt.

and well - the sd card automount doesn'T work ^^''.... if its in the init.d it does load up the drivers and such but doesn't find an card at boot time. if i enter the commands via hand on consle - snap, there it is! sounds like something isn't ready yet or some problem with rights...

well and theres an awesome load of stuff to do still. want to use the power led aswell as indicator if the thing is runing ok (like gps delivers data) - or if there is trouble. we shall see.

lot to do ^.^

So Im not sure what had gotten my FON working, but it was while I was at work last week, well after work, I powered down my fon, as well as my laptop that Ive been doing this on, took everything home and didnt hook it up til sunday because I was out of town for a couple days.

Now that Ive tried getting it running at home, it wont work. Ive done my best to again make sure my config file matches what you have and such,

When I initiate a

ping google.com , it pings and replies..

if I

ping -I eth0.0 google.com, it doesnt get a reply at all.

If I

ping -I eth0.1 google.com, I get a ping and a reply

from my laptop, attached to LAN, I am able to connect to the webif for jasager and openwrt. I can also ping my FONS LAN port from the laptop, but it will not ping the WAN port (from LAN)

So, I can see that eth0.1 ( WAN ) is definitely getting its connection to the outside works, and its getting assigned a DHCP address...I can see that eth0.0 ( LAN ) is able to communicate with my laptop just fine, so it appears something is wrong with the connection between the bridge.

any help or pointers? :)

yep, I got an pointer for you if you would use ICS for this.

I.e. I use normally my Eee PC (Wlan activated, leeches the Internet - Ethernet Attached to Fon) with ICS.

Problem i figured, through some error I can'T solve, ICS is shutting down all the time. Sometimes after Minutes, sometimes after Hours. Only thing to get it working again is to set it up again.

(Create New Network, This PC has Internet which others should be able to use, click nic which is connected to internet, next, click nic which connects to fon, next, and get it done...)

mh...

So Im not sure what had gotten my FON working, but it was while I was at work last week, well after work, I powered down my fon, as well as my laptop that Ive been doing this on, took everything home and didnt hook it up til sunday because I was out of town for a couple days.

Now that Ive tried getting it running at home, it wont work. Ive done my best to again make sure my config file matches what you have and such,

When I initiate a

ping google.com , it pings and replies..

if I

ping -I eth0.0 google.com, it doesnt get a reply at all.

If I

ping -I eth0.1 google.com, I get a ping and a reply

from my laptop, attached to LAN, I am able to connect to the webif for jasager and openwrt. I can also ping my FONS LAN port from the laptop, but it will not ping the WAN port (from LAN)

So, I can see that eth0.1 ( WAN ) is definitely getting its connection to the outside works, and its getting assigned a DHCP address...I can see that eth0.0 ( LAN ) is able to communicate with my laptop just fine, so it appears something is wrong with the connection between the bridge.

any help or pointers? :)

When do the ping without specifying the interface which one does it use?

Digi - When doing the ping, Im not sure which it uses in the case of the interface not being specified, sometimes by default it seems to use the WAN sometimes LAN, usually default seems to be using LAN though.

Xeno - Ill definitely look into ICS, stumbeled across http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...mp;#entry148979 , Im going to try to find that one... Is there an easy way to switch it up between using ICS (using the internets connection on my laptop for jasagers victims), to using the eth0 connection that is on the WAN, while sniffing the eth0 on LAN, Just in case when Im out in the wild, I can be agile and have my options as to how I want to work things :-)

well i would go then for two network files.

one with dhcp client and one with static ics settings.

and then start fonera, copy over the network and reboot and you're done.

i always have multiple network files in my /etc/config.

like network.ics , network.home, etc.

There are a few ways to find out, fire up tcpdump and watch what interface sends the pings or, not sure if ping on the fon supports this, try ping -R will show you the routing information. that shows you the IP it is sending from which will be tied to one of your interfaces.

Xeno- That sounds like a great idea, maybe I will write up a script that will allow me to super easily switch between using the ICS for sharing internet off my wlan0 connection, and then another that allows me to use the wan port attached to an internet connection on the jasager!

Digi- Ive been using wireshark to do that, difficult thing is that eth0 , eth0.0 and eth0.1 have the same mac address, but I have and will continue to use this method to troubleshoot the communication

That being said, I've followed echoblack's ICS tutorial ( http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15200 ) and appear to have gotten things working, although I cant associate with my external wlan0 NIC because Im at work and theres only one corporate network I can find which I dont want to connect to jasager. haha.

eth0 is a virtual interface that covers both eth0.0 and eth0.1, that is why they all have the same MAC address. My ping idea is looking at it the other way round, do the ping from the fon and see what IP it says it is pinging from, that IP will only be assigned to one interface so you will know which one it is coming from.

• 3 weeks later...