Handheld Pentesting Device?

Masteroc

The last episode got me thinking about adding a Handheld pen testing device to my aresenal. I did a lot of research on that Zipit and found that the likelihood of getting injection working on it is pretty slim. So my question is, do any of you know of a good handheld device that can support injection and monitor mode?

Thanks

Well I ordered an n810 and it came in yesterday when i left for oklahoma city so i wont be able to do any serious testing on it till Tusday.. but ive read that injecting on it isnt possible.. but ive read it could so idk. There is another topic on this forum talkin about the n810 and i posted on it about a week or so ago but no one responded.

If anyone finds a handheld (something like n810.. you know.. not a laptop :P) that can inject PLEASE post on this topic.. i have a 14 day return on my n810 :D

The last episode got me thinking about adding a Handheld pen testing device to my aresenal. I did a lot of research on that Zipit and found that the likelihood of getting injection working on it is pretty slim. So my question is, do any of you know of a good handheld device that can support injection and monitor mode?

Thanks

The Zipit is very low powered, not saying you can't use it for some cool things but I've never used one for much more than a serial terminal via minicom and for some IRC stuff. I have and like my n810, but support is something that is fairly shit and hardly anyone puts stuff out for it. You need to learn to cross compile if you want to add a lot of stuff.

Photo's exist on the internet of some of the shit on mine but I don't see the point of linking it on here. Anyway Kismet, Spectools, Aircrack/aircrack-ptw, Ettercap, metasploit, dsniff, btscanner, hping, minicom, nmap, p0f and I could go on, all work fine. I've got packet injection working but that involved some work and its not perfect at the moment.

The Zipit is very low powered, not saying you can't use it for some cool things but I've never used one for much more than a serial terminal via minicom and for some IRC stuff. I have and like my n810, but support is something that is fairly shit and hardly anyone puts stuff out for it. You need to learn to cross compile if you want to add a lot of stuff.

Photo's exist on the internet of some of the shit on mine but I don't see the point of linking it on here. Anyway Kismet, Spectools, Aircrack/aircrack-ptw, Ettercap, metasploit, dsniff, btscanner, hping, minicom, nmap, p0f and I could go on, all work fine. I've got packet injection working but that involved some work and its not perfect at the moment.

Well i have an ALFA so using the built-in card isnt really gonna matter much anyways.

Well i have an ALFA so using the built-in card isnt really gonna matter much anyways.

How are you powering it? The n810 shows the card via lsusb if you enable host USB support but it does not work unless you split the power off from the card and use an extra power source like a USB battery pack.

How are you powering it? The n810 shows the card via lsusb if you enable host USB support but it does not work unless you split the power off from the card and use an extra power source like a USB battery pack.

Well I havent messed around with it but ive read around the net and somepeople use the alfa card so I figured its really easy.. ill let you guys know what I come up with.

Instructions to build a USB Power Injector for Nokia Internet Tablets. I tested it with N770 and N810 and it worked pretty good :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

take a palm tungsten or the like and put linux on it. install aircrack and other pentesting software and you are good to go

take a palm tungsten or the like and put linux on it. install aircrack and other pentesting software and you are good to go

Yea, you just pulled that out of your ass right? They just barely support the hardware on the newer palms. Anything more than putting pretty pictures on the screen is a long way away.

@OP

The best handheld at the moment would be the Zaurus SL-C3200. Used to have a few different Zauri, I know for a fact it will run kismet, and the spectools for the wispy usb spectrum analyzers. There's a port for aircrack for it as well. The only problem with these little guys are the processors are pretty low power, so cracking wep will take many many hours, forget about wpa, there's just not enough room on board for the tables. They make great recon devices though. I used to use mine to hunt down rogue access points for the school district I used to work for.

Yea, you just pulled that out of your ass right? They just barely support the hardware on the newer palms. Anything more than putting pretty pictures on the screen is a long way away.

@OP

The best handheld at the moment would be the Zaurus SL-C3200. Used to have a few different Zauri, I know for a fact it will run kismet, and the spectools for the wispy usb spectrum analyzers. There's a port for aircrack for it as well. The only problem with these little guys are the processors are pretty low power, so cracking wep will take many many hours, forget about wpa, there's just not enough room on board for the tables. They make great recon devices though. I used to use mine to hunt down rogue access points for the school district I used to work for.

Why you are wrong

http://forums.bsodtv.org/Nokia-N80-t546.html

N810 is hands down the best handhald at the moment as I can get everything I run on a normal laptop working. I can even use USB video capture cards as a way of bringing video in from my video scanners, if I want to I could even use a usb to pcmcia adapter if needed.

I don't know enough about the n900 to say its going to be better than the n810 in some ways but it looks like it will be worth picking up in a year or twos time when the price drops.

Why you are wrong

http://forums.bsodtv.org/Nokia-N80-t546.html

N810 is hands down the best handhald at the moment as I can get everything I run on a normal laptop working. I can even use USB video capture cards as a way of bringing video in from my video scanners, if I want to I could even use a usb to pcmcia adapter if needed.

I don't know enough about the n900 to say its going to be better than the n810 in some ways but it looks like it will be worth picking up in a year or twos time when the price drops.

I had an N800. I'll never buy another one of those pieces of shit again. Nokia "support" sucks dead donkey cock. The Zaurus has usb host capability as well. I've used cf to pcmcia adapters on them as well. The Zaurus also has a 6Gb hard drive built in.

I had an N800. I'll never buy another one of those pieces of shit again. Nokia "support" sucks dead donkey cock. The Zaurus has usb host capability as well. I've used cf to pcmcia adapters on them as well. The Zaurus also has a 6Gb hard drive built in.

I don't see the issue with Nokia support, I've never needed it. The issue with the Zaurus is the only option I've seen getting one is importing it from Japan, which is not a good one. Even the people I know in the US say there hard to find. I can walk into a shop and get a n810 for under £150 now. The ease of access to the n810 means that you have a much larger developer community. With the n900 coming out the dev community is getting bigger and bigger every day, the Zaurus is an oddity at best anywhere besides Japan.

I don't see the issue, with the 6GB built in. The n810 has 2GB free and you can just stick an 8GB card in it to make that up to 10 or go with an even bigger card.

I don't see the issue with Nokia support, I've never needed it. The issue with the Zaurus is the only option I've seen getting one is importing it from Japan, which is not a good one. Even the people I know in the US say there hard to find. I can walk into a shop and get a n810 for under £150 now. The ease of access to the n810 means that you have a much larger developer community. With the n900 coming out the dev community is getting bigger and bigger every day, the Zaurus is an oddity at best anywhere besides Japan.

I don't see the issue, with the 6GB built in. The n810 has 2GB free and you can just stick an 8GB card in it to make that up to 10 or go with an even bigger card.

You must have missed out on that craptacular firmware update where everyone at Nokia goes on "holiday" the day after it's released. That was awesome. Took about three weeks to get some of the issues fixed. Yea, you'll have to import a zaurus, or pick one up on ebay, since they don't make them any more. I know a couple guys that have replaced the internal drive with bigger cf cards, the one that's in it is a Toshiba 6Gb microdrive. That's without using the external cf card or the sd card. In theory you could get 96Gb of storage, if you have the cash. Realistically a netbook is probably the better way to go. More power, and better support.

I have to say, the n810 is the bomb since you can install any Debian package if you use Easy Debian.

Here are a few other ideas:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=mobile-device-hacking

Still, I'd like to get a Zipit just to use as a drop box on someone else's network.

Yeah it seems ideal for that. I've a few ham friends that have used them as serial terminals, the first one they put out you needed shockingly good soldering skills to do a serial mod and add a memory card, the Z2 is nice and easy to work with, plus the color screen was a nice addition.