Hack Wars

Kerberos

Not sure how many people here are into hacking sims, but I would assume at least a few, if not a decent number. There's one that's been around for a while that's actually kind of fun once you get into it. It's online so you play against other players, and the focus is on programming. You write scripts to do stuff and as you level up and increase your skill levels you gain access to more advanced script API functions/subroutines. One of the types of programs/scripts you can write is a mini-HTTP server that other players can connect to and view a website if you feel like designing one. It's not very realistic, except for the programming aspect, but it's still kind of cool (and slightly addicting at times).

The "programming" (or more "scripting") language is basically stripped down C with a game-specific, custom API. It's made in java and pops out of your browser window. It's still a little buggy, but it's being actively developed and is coming along pretty well. Check it out if it sounds interesting: Hack Wars.

Just got the game Uplink there and its like a little hacking sim its loads of fun and draws you trying to find the file you want to delete on the targets computer as your connect is getting traced.

Uplink is probably my favorite hacking sim of all time. Once you get some nice hardware going there's nothing you can't do. The network penetration is particularly enjoyable, especially with medium to large scale networks. I love the voice authentication too. Being able to get just far enough into the network to find a phone number, and then using the phone number to get a voice recording to synthesize the voice authentication is so cool. That, and the use of elliptic curve cryptography. Pretty good stuff :D

yeah it is a rly fun game i liked trying to figure out who hacked into a bank to then you hack the bank get the logs hack the next machine and then the next till you get to your target...

then I realised my moral rating was so low as I sent too many hackers to jail and it dawned on me what I had done...

What kind of experience or knowledge do you need, if any, to play this game? It sounds fun, but it sounds out of my league.

Which one? Hack Wars is a lot to get used to at first, but once you get into it it's quite fun. Uplink I found to be difficult at first because if you screw up you can ruin future missions and end up with nowhere to go. But as with Hack Wars, once you get into it it's not too hard. As for experience, Hack Wars is based around being able to actually write your own "scripts" to do things like attack other computers, so some programming knowledge definitely helps, but it's not necessary. Uplink doesn't really require any previous knowledge but can be difficult without some basic understanding of things like bouncing your connection and network topology. I'd say give either (or both) a try. If it's too much, oh well, if not, you'll have a great game (or two) to play. If you need help figuring out Hack Wars I don't mind giving pointers/help :).

Which one? Hack Wars is a lot to get used to at first, but once you get into it it's quite fun. Uplink I found to be difficult at first because if you screw up you can ruin future missions and end up with nowhere to go. But as with Hack Wars, once you get into it it's not too hard. As for experience, Hack Wars is based around being able to actually write your own "scripts" to do things like attack other computers, so some programming knowledge definitely helps, but it's not necessary. Uplink doesn't really require any previous knowledge but can be difficult without some basic understanding of things like bouncing your connection and network topology. I'd say give either (or both) a try. If it's too much, oh well, if not, you'll have a great game (or two) to play. If you need help figuring out Hack Wars I don't mind giving pointers/help :).

Cool... I'll be sure to hit you up then if I need help or something =P. They both sound like a lot of fun in a really nerdy (good) way!!! LOL

Ah Uplink, I've been friends with Introversion software for a long time and have done work on the Uplink code.

Uplink is hollywood hacking, ie not real in the slightest. People say there is a steep learning curve, yet if you just read the in game help files it isn't all that hard.

• 3 weeks later...

I played that HackWars game for a week now and it sucks! All I been doing was going after ScriptKiddies. There are so many flaws in the game. Uplink and SlaveHack are way better hacking sim games. Dont even waste you time with HackWars. Trust me, it sucks the big one!

...right. Well I quite enjoy it. And if that's all you've been doing then no wonder you're bored. Go after some players or work on some scripts while you're battering NPCs -.-'

And yes, it's still in development. So? It's called bleeding edge, if you don't like working with software/games that aren't fully operational yet then don't bother. It doesn't mean it sucks, it just means it's still not finished yet. It works most of the time for me anyways.

As for the "hollywood hacking" mentioned earlier, there aren't many things out there that I would call a "game" that require real hacking skills. Try SmashTheStack if you're looking for wargames that need some real skill. Mod-X is a good challenge site, but I don't think that really counts as a "game".

Anyways, it's too bad that you don't like HackWars...