BT4 Persistent On A USB Multipass?

Kerberos

I finally got around to making my own USB Multipass. It's pretty awesome, I must admit. The only thing I would like to have that I can't quite figure out is a persistent Backtrack 4. From what I understand (which could quite easily be very wrong), Backtrack 4 needs to be "installed" to the drive (in this case the USB key/flash drive) in order for changes to be persistent. This "installation" requires (from what I've read) partitioning of the destination drive. But would that very partitioning not mess up the rest of the USB Multipass? Is it possible to have everything coexist together?

If I'm correct about the installation and partitioning, would it not be possible to do a normal installation of Backtrack 4 onto the USB key/flash drive as per any of the various tutorials floating around, and then add the rest of the Multipass files and simply modify the grub that's installed by Backtrack 4? Or is the version it uses not going to work too well for loading the rest of the Multipass' systems/utilities?

If I'm completely missing something or am wrong about something, please let me know. I'd really like to get this working. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful :) Thanks!

That's what it does right now, but I want persistent changes. I don't want to have to update 60 different pieces of software every time I boot into it. Also, I don't always have an internet connection to do so, so sometimes I can't even update anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to make BT4 Persistent on a multipass. It's really simple!

Just add BT4 normally like you've done with the other programs. Create a small partition on the USB that you call casper-rw. This is how my menu.lst/btmenu.lst looks like:

color green/black black/green

timeout 120

title -=BackTrack 4 Pre-release=-

configfile /boot/bootbt4/boot/grub/menu.lst

---------------------------------------------------------------

color green/black black/green

timeout 120

default 3

title -=Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)=-

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/bootbt4/boot/vmlinuz casperpath=/boot/bootbt4/ boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 nopersistent rw

initrd=/boot/bootbt4/boot/initrd.gz

boot

title -=Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)=-

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/bootbt4/boot/vmlinuz casperpath=/boot/bootbt4/ boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 nopersistent rw

boot

title -=Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode=-

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/bootbt4/boot/vmlinuz casperpath=/boot/bootbt4/ boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 xforceversa rw

boot

title -=Start Persistent Live CD=-

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/bootbt4/boot/vmlinuz casperpath=/boot/bootbt4/ boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 persistent rw

boot

title -=Start BackTrack in Text Mode=-

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/bootbt4/boot/vmlinuz casperpath=/boot/bootbt4/ boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 textonly rw

boot

title -=Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM=-

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/bootbt4/boot/vmlinuz casperpath=/boot/bootbt4/ boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 toram nopersistent rw

boot

title -=Boot the First Hard Disk=-

root (hd0)

chainloader +1

title -=Main-menu=-

configfile /menu.lst

------------------------------------------------------------

Note that I've also changed the path of the Casper-folder with the "casperpath=", so you might want to take that out unless you've done it too