Phone Tethering over Data Plans and connection speeds

digip

Im currently trying out tetherberry for my BlackBerry phone. I have the everythign plan from Sprint, but Tethering was not included, in the plan. I've tried every damn thing I can think of and wasn't able to get it to sync up with my pc, but with Tetherberry, all is working. My question is, does anyone know how to change the settings on a phone to get a closer connection for the internet side of the phone. I live on the east coast, but when I check my location for the phones internet, it says im in Cincinatti, and I get horrible speeds. See the pic below.

631490949.png

Im wondering if there is a way to make the phone use a closer access point, so I can get better speeds while using it as a modem for my notebook. I have a friend who gets like 3 times that speed ont he same phone with the same setup, so were not sure how the phones regsiter themselves with the access points and if there is a way to conenct to a closer network on mine.

This is my first phone that I have used to get online with, so what are the average speeds any of you have seen while tethering here in the US, specifically the tri-state areas of NJ, PA and DE.

Most Blackberrys are EDGE or GPRS only, I know the only time mine has worked on EDGE was in Frankfurt airport. This will explain the speed somewhat. As for your location, that will be where your cellular network is connecting to the internet, I don't think you can change this.

My phone says is 1xEV. I beleive that means its a CDMA phone and does not use edge or gprs, but I dont know enough about cell phones to know the difference at this point, still learning.

Looks like Im getting the mac speed for my phone carriers transport type:

http://www.cdg.org/technology/3g_1X.asp

Speedtests tell me im getting 333kbps down/90kbps up, so thats probalby about all I'll get unless I change carriers to something on a faster 4g network an dI don't even know if my phone can do 4g.

BlackBerry devices on the CDMA network display a “1X” indicator when it connects with full data service, and a lowercase “1x” when it is not able to connect to full BlackBerry email and browsing service. Carriers include Verizon, Sprint and Telus. It will all come down to location for a faster connection. Are you using BES or BIS services. Also, set your wireless setting to automatic so that when it picks up a wireless signal thats faster than your connection it will use that connection and give much faster speeds.

BlackBerry devices on the CDMA network display a “1X” indicator when it connects with full data service, and a lowercase “1x” when it is not able to connect to full BlackBerry email and browsing service. Carriers include Verizon, Sprint and Telus. It will all come down to location for a faster connection. Are you using BES or BIS services. Also, set your wireless setting to automatic so that when it picks up a wireless signal thats faster than your connection it will use that connection and give much faster speeds.

It comes up as a 1XEV (Capital X). Im using BIS and have all my personal emails working allthough I have the option for Enterprise email on there, its not set up for that at the moment, as im out of work. Radio access says EVDO under network diagnostics, and my network is Sprint PCS.

There are plenty of unsecure wireless access points in my area, but the phone does not seem to look at or find any of them. I have bluetooth disable, so not sure of that makes a difference, but might disable its a bility to see 2.4ghz networks, im just not sure about a lot of this phone stuff yet. I gues smy friends phone might be using WiFi to get online at time, so that might be why he gets faster connect speeds than I do on the sprint network alone.

Edit: looks like mine does not do wifi, but does CDMA and BlueTooth.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/devic..._specifications