For people working in IT (or any job really) - dumbest remarks you've heard from higher up people?

TheKosherCoder

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, and I only have about a year's worth of job experience as an IT intern so maybe I shouldn't be talking, but some people make me wonder how they got their job at all...

Here's mine:

"What is this Linux thing you're talking about? Is it expensive?" followed by "What's a Linux distribution?"

-Senior level network/hardware guy, who works in the server room all day with Solaris machines, who claims to have a Master's in Computer Science and routinely spouts off about how smart he is...right. :blink:

Me: "We need to do X, if we don't Y will happen and take a lot of time and money to fix."

Them: "But X costs $$"

Me: "Yes, but if we don't spend $$ on X we'll end up spending a lot more when things go tits up"

Them: "Oh it'll be fine".

A few weeks later.....

Them: "Y has happened! How could this happen, why didn't you warn us about it?!"

Me: "I did, check your email, you said it'd be fine."

That little fuck up cost the company I worked for €2million Euro and 2 days downtime. If they'd done what I suggested? €50,000 and 2 hours downtime.

lol fellow help desk worker in school IT department was handed a cisco WAP, plugs in network cable cant access gui. I watched him for about 15 minutes and asked if he wanted a hand. No I am fine I have a degree in comp science I can work this shit out.

I thought well fuck ya and left him to it. Watched him for around an hour chuckling to myself until I thought I would be nice and got a console cable and dropped it on his desk saying this may help you. =P

lol fellow help desk worker in school IT department was handed a cisco WAP, plugs in network cable cant access gui. I watched him for about 15 minutes and asked if he wanted a hand. No I am fine I have a degree in comp science I can work this shit out.

I thought well fuck ya and left him to it. Watched him for around an hour chuckling to myself until I thought I would be nice and got a console cable and dropped it on his desk saying this may help you. =P

^haha...that's great.

i work with several idiots too. there's honestly not enough room in these text fields to dump all the ridiculous inaccurate shit i hear from them on a daily basis. but i also work for a state government dept. - it's not what you know .. it's how long you've been there.

"Do we really need an Anti-Virus program? I thought the firewall protects us."

"Why is your computer the only computer with a CD burner?" or "Why does my computer not recognize my flash drive?" and "Why can't I work on this (confidential) report at home? My computer came with Norton when I bought it. (5 years ago)"

"My computer doesn't work--I want a new one."

"Nobody will ever find my password under my keyboard."

"I sent this to the printer 20 times and it's still not printing."

*Calls my phone from the phone in question* "My phone isn't working."

"I'm getting ghost emails" - Turns out they where not medium but simply spooked by Outlooks new email alert.

"Bio-metrics isn't working on my PC" - User had a Lenovo PC which has finger print stlye background and was pushing their thumb on to the monitor.

I used to work in a mom and pop computer repair shop. My first day was doing a ram upgrade.

client:"shouldn't you be wearing gloves?"

me:"not really. why?"

client:"can't you get a computer virus like that?"

I quickly walked away and laughed until i cried.

Lawl!!!

Yah, cause you know.. That's what set off the H1N1.. because h1: is ok, cause it's within standard hex parameters, but n1: is like a rogue hex bit er something.