Which way to install?

OK so i am lost (what else is new) I have been reading on the forums on how to install and there is some posts that say the wiki is not correct anymore. I am running a Dell XPS m1530 windows 7 with a intel wirless internal card I do not have a Fon yet but will shortly and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on which way to install Jasager on it. I want to connect to the internet with the wireless card and then run the fon to intercept the traffic. I have been seeing people say the wiki runs a DHCP in windows and not the fon so it will only half work. I belive I want to run the DHCP on the fon so the testing computer will connect to the Fon. THANKS

I've added a line to the top of the wiki suggesting everyone now uses the firmware I created rather than the vanilla firmware. This means you get all the packages installed and working from the start rather than having to install them yourself.

Get the firmware installed then looking at ICS once that is in place. Basic instructions are to give the Fon a static IP then run a DHCP server on the Fon so it can allocate IP addresses to clients.

Hi,

Just get the Jasager 1.0 Firmware from digininjas Website,

grab a copy of FonFlash,

Start it, Select the NIC your Fon+ is attached to, select rootfs and Kernel File and press the Flash button.

Then power on your Fon+ - and wait about 20 Minutes - its going to give you an Ack that its done.

And off you're!

But I would recommend you to solder yourself an Serial Cable - its great for unbricking and might help a lot!

Greets,

Xeno

You didn't really answer my question so I will put in yes or no terms. I start with step 1 in this link http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Fon_Jasager_Install and go through all steps 1-11 and on step 11 I use the firmware from Jasagers homepage. and after it is done flashing it is finished right. because steps 1-10 unlocks it. and step 11 uploads the firmware.

You didn't really answer my question so I will put in yes or no terms. I start with step 1 in this link http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Fon_Jasager_Install and go through all steps 1-11 and on step 11 I use the firmware from Jasagers homepage. and after it is done flashing it is finished right. because steps 1-10 unlocks it. and step 11 uploads the firmware.

Woops!

Ok: YES NO YES NO:.. YES YES...

Just kidding ;-).

Its a bit more easy to be complicated:

Flashing with the Fon Firmware does not need anything else, except some Bug fixes.

I'm writing an tutorial about it at the moment (with all useful posts around here) for the fon2201, which I'm going to release in some days, but I give you a little quick start (I think you're ok with that ;-):

First

Flash the Firmware onto your Fonera with FonFlash

( http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php ) - Just load the Firmware in the App, wire up your Fon and press flash, plugin the power of your fon... It will take about 20 minutes+ and inform you when its done.

Second

Do step 12 and 13 to enable functionality

Third

If you want webif, you need to do this:

opkg update

opkg install webif

reboot

Forth

You're on step 20,

have fun!

Greets,

Xeno

So no steps 1-10, don't you have to unlock it or does the flash unlock it for you? thanks for the help by the way:)

Yep,

no unlocking required as there is no possiblity to "Hack" the original Fon Firmware at the moment.

So all we do with FonFlash is to OVERWRITE the Firmware - no unlocking required as we just "kill 'em all" ;-).

(I was so sad as I recieved my 2201... I wished I would have had the possibility to "hack" it - its such a fun... So I ordered an Fonera Classic now, unhacked... So that I can still have some fun and do the more awesome Hardware Mods with it that aren't possible anymore with the 2201 / Fon+ ^^'''').

So just follow as I described, and I THINK it should work ;-).

Good luck,

Yours,

Xeno