3G USB Dongle support

So, since you can implement 3G dongle support in dd-wrt and open-wrt, I thought to myself: why not implement it on the Jasager?

The point of this post is to more or less "query" you guys to see if someone else has been thinking about the same thing, or even if it's already been implemented.

Virtually all routers (no matter how small/big or cheap/pricy) have USB ports, some of them just require that you solder the port on the board, but the connection's should be there.

At any rate, I'll put some serious research into this and I'll keep checking if someone out there thinks this is a good idea aswell. Talk about truly mobile jasager! :-)

EDIT: Oh, hah, apparently the Fonera 2.0n model already has 3G dongle support. Maybe I can get the older model's serial connection to do the trick and work with 3G dongles aswell. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have done extensive research into this and it seems there are very limited hardware options when it comes to getting an Atheros based router that has USB and runs OpenWRT. It's a shame the Fon 2.0g isn't still in production, it was a great router.

I think the best solution is actually to build your own based on a USB enabled router board with m-pci slot and an atheros radio. Problem is they are very expensive. An off the shelf solution would be much better.

I have done extensive research into this and it seems there are very limited hardware options when it comes to getting an Atheros based router that has USB and runs OpenWRT. It's a shame the Fon 2.0g isn't still in production, it was a great router.

I think the best solution is actually to build your own based on a USB enabled router board with m-pci slot and an atheros radio. Problem is they are very expensive. An off the shelf solution would be much better.

Well sorry Darren, don't want to put you down on that, but there IS an solution:

Try to get an old Netgear WGT634U.

I got one myself years ago, and they aren't produced anymore.

But they are really nice babys:

200 Mhz MIPS, 8 MB Flash, 32 MB(!) RAM, Atheros Wlan Card on miniPCI Slot (swapable) and and USB2.0 Connector.

( http://nuwiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/OpenWrtD...Netgear/WGT634U )

They do rock.

Was my first OpenWRT Box, and I loved it. Had some phpBB 3.0 Alpha Forum running on it, with lighttpd with php Modul and an sqlite DB. Took about sweet 6 Seconds per Page Load, but it worked ;-). (sorry, couldn't help myself in terms of geek-iness XD).

They could be quite interessting for little projects like this - but are sadly out of production since.. 2006? 2007? dunno... Ah and by the way: They got 1 Wan Port and 4 Lan Ports. And all are vlan taggable... so... quite interessting Machine for Sniffing. The UBER Interceptor if you want ;-).

Greets,

Xeno / Nico