Wireless Access Point and RADIUS

shonen

I have been doing a little reading via google on RADIUS being implemented for WAP access and I am completely lost. Is WPA2-802.1x secure? How does it work? like is it WPA2 Key and login credentials to the radius server to connect?

Also can you tie login credentials to the access point into the same that are used for users on Active Directory?

I can't help ... because I'm also confused. I've done a fair amount of reading but just can't get my head around how it works in a real situation. I understand *some* of the theory. I know that Darren mentioned he'd cover RADIUS in a future episode a little while ago. I just hope it's on his "to do soon" list!

I have been doing a little reading via google on RADIUS being implemented for WAP access and I am completely lost. Is WPA2-802.1x secure? How does it work? like is it WPA2 Key and login credentials to the radius server to connect?

Also can you tie login credentials to the access point into the same that are used for users on Active Directory?

That's usually the way it works.

http://forevergeeks.com/setup-linksys-rout...uthentication-2

Okay, I've been meaning to figure this stuff out anyway, so here goes. The connection is a wpa protected connection, but the key is kept on the server. You use your domain user/pass to connect. Is it more secure than wpa2 with a good password? Good question. I did successfully get a linksys wrt54g running the linksys firmware to use a win2k3 server for it's radius server. So far I've successfully gotten my macbook pro to connect. Still working on getting a dell with xp to connect, but I've got to update the drivers, freaking D600 doesn't do aes....