Finding drivers, how do you go about it?

shonen

Hey guys,

I was after any helpful tips, tricks suggested software advice etc for finding those annoyingly troublesome missing drivers. I have been doing work experience at a Computer repair store for a little over a week now (also do help desk in a school). Anyways a large portion of my time is eaten away by finding drivers for laptops that do not come with the install CD's or in some case's the vendor ones on the manufacture's website don't take to well.

I have been using everest ultimate trial edition to get the hardware code and device name which makes googling a little easier but can still be time consuming finding a download non the less.

Thanks in advanced.

I use a site called driveragent.com, it costs something like 35 to 40$ a year but is well worth it. Say that I charge 50$ to fix each PC, just format it, reinstall windows xp and install the drivers to make the box work correctly.. pretend I fix 1 pc a month for 50$ each, 12 * 50 = 600$ - 40$ for drivermax = well worth it.

You just login and it gives you an active X controller you need to install then it scans the computer for all the drivers it needs, then gets the newest ones from its database of millions & millions of drivers, which then you can download and install and it saves alot of time when repairing pc's.

I know I sound like a commericial for that site probuly but it is true, check it out. It makes installing drivers on ANY box very very easy.

Ah awesome, I will download that now necro and see how it goes. If need be I will pay the $40 for a years subscription to that site 555 suggested.

Thanks a bundle for the advice guys its very much appreciated. Oh and 555 $40 a year is chump change considering the amount of time you would reclaim. I have done a few jobs were I have been searching for days. The sucky thing is I have found you have to be careful were you get your drivers from seeing as some sites pack there drivers with crapware. I did a done a few for friends where this has happened and I had to completely redo the install. Last thing ya wanna do is give a pc back in that state to a friend and it looks even worse when you are doing it commercially for customers.

I would also suggest driveragent.com if you are doing alot of PC repairs/fixes.. you will save tons of time on finding drivers and googling them. I have tried drivermax, all those programs.. this sites whole dedication is to pc drivers, and it makes it very easy to find which ones you need and to download & install them. I have fixed tons of pc's with this site and it is legit.

Get the driverpacks you need (XP, Vista/7) and make a Stand Alone CD/DVD.

I know of this site, but can't access Vista or Windows 7 drivers. When I access the Downloads page, it tells me that I haven't got javascript enabled (Windows XP + IE7) but I have. Can someone try to access the Vista or Windows 7 drivers to see if they get the same response?

Thanks

Seems like that website is pretty popular. I will have a chat to my boss about the custom boot disc and slip streaming the service packs in and see what he says about it (after all it is his call). If that fails I may just pay for my own account with the above mentioned website so I can knock over those annoying installs more efficiently.

Thanks again guys.

I know of this site, but can't access Vista or Windows 7 drivers. When I access the Downloads page, it tells me that I haven't got javascript enabled (Windows XP + IE7) but I have. Can someone try to access the Vista or Windows 7 drivers to see if they get the same response?

Thanks

Check the forums. They are there. Sorry for any confusion!

When it comes to drivers, I think paying someone to tell you what the driver is, is a ripoff.

I use a Stand Alone disc from Driverpacks.net

and in the event that does not work I go into the device manager, go to the properties for the device in question, go to the details tab, then select the Hardware IDs Property.

then you can take the information from there plug it into google and find a good chunk of results.

typically it's like "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1092" at most that you need.

occasionally when it's a TV Tuner the SUBSYS information is needed as well.

Driverpacks.net will get you quite far just so you know ;)

it's a bit more running than running a program, but it's free!

ASUS.com or Dell.com B) normally ... I live in an ideal world :D

Didn't Hak5 do an article on some software you install and it rips all the custom (no window drivers) from the system? I think the system had to be in a workable (booting) order.

My guess of why you can never find drivers for Win 7 is because they did a good job on auto-installing them, like Ubuntu does pretty much. You start your PC and if a driver is missing Win 7 detects it and installs it. I maybe wrong though, and if it does that it can be a security risk, but then I could be wrong again.. I am no expert

I must say I am a huge fan of Windows 7 (I kind of skipped Vista) for that reason, it does a pretty bloody good job of finding the right drivers the vast majority of the time.

Not sure about the security aspect myself, guess one of the more educated people will have to enlighten us.