iKAT

c0r

Yeah I was gonna have a fiddle with iKAT early last year shortly after my school implemented a bunch of kiosks for accessing the student web portal. The downer was that the url content filter blocked the address.

In any case it was just as easy to view source on the web browser and use it as a notepad file for making a cmd or just browsing to explorer. I ended up getting to the kiosk app and made a few tweaks to it like enabling the url bar among a few other things. Can't remember what software it was running and what adjust I made to it seeing as it was sometime ago, was handy using it for researching when the library didn't have a free workstation.

Would have been nice to get the admin for the kiosk seeing as I was contemplating setting up VNC or something. lol would have been a laugh seeing peoples face's when the kiosk does stuff all on its own.

... The downer was that the url content filter blocked the address.

I looked at iKAT a while ago after I'd seen it mentioned on mubix's site (I'm fairly sure it was there). Isn't there a DL version which can be used if the address is blocked?

Yeah there is a downloaded version, but its a lil useless when a kiosk has no usb or cd drives that can be accessed. However if it is a part of a school network you can always setup a file share on a work station through a VM or rooting the box with kon boot and //ipaddress to it from the kiosk. but to do that you have to access the o.s behind it and once you have that its kind of pointless.

In some environments I have seen kiosks that have intranet access only and can not access the internet.

Yeah there is a downloaded version, but its a lil useless when a kiosk has no usb or cd drives that can be accessed. However if it is a part of a school network you can always setup a file share on a work station through a VM or rooting the box with kon boot and //ipaddress to it from the kiosk. but to do that you have to access the o.s behind it and once you have that its kind of pointless.

In some environments I have seen kiosks that have intranet access only and can not access the internet.

It's not so much that it's portable for a usb drive as that it's packaged so that you can deploy it on your own webserver that most likely won't be blacklisted by the kiosk.

so that you can deploy it on your own webserver that most likely won't be blacklisted by the kiosk.

*smacks head on the desk* now why didn't I draw to that conclusion. =P Then again I don't have a web server so that could be why.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a thought. What if you were to install this as the captive portal on a Fonera+ and place it in-line with the Kiosk's ethernet connection kiosk --Pwnera--internets ? I've found that many kiosks while "locked down" expose the ethernet jack. Granted you'd have to either slim down the package or put on external storage.