Software Dedicated Computer Firewall

Deathdefyer2002

All-

Does anyone have any experience using Astaro USG? They have a free home version that works up to 50 IP's. I was using IPcop for the longest time as Smoothwall wasn't hardware compatible with my computer. IpCop worked rather well but had a very plain interface and didn't seem to be updated much any more. Comming across Astaro, it looks like this is a very full featured Firewall and is recommended by the podcast "Security Now"

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were?

-Defyer

All-

Does anyone have any experience using Astaro USG? They have a free home version that works up to 50 IP's. I was using IPcop for the longest time as Smoothwall wasn't hardware compatible with my computer. IpCop worked rather well but had a very plain interface and didn't seem to be updated much any more. Comming across Astaro, it looks like this is a very full featured Firewall and is recommended by the podcast "Security Now"

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were?

-Defyer

You know smoothwall and ipcop are pretty much the same thing right?

I'm on the side that a firewall should be firewall and not much else. Why does it need to have some flashy web interface? I run Pfsense here at home and I rarely hit the web interface unless I need to change something. It gives me what I need. Four zones, web, firewall, squidguard, portal and vpn. Add all the flash you want if the core is solid it doesn' t matter to me.