Dude I got a dell?!

thedude

Dont laugh at me, I got a Dell - OptiPlex GX620 tower with Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.80 GHz Level 2 Cache 512KB integrated. This sucker as two HDD on seperate partations, 1 HDD is holding Windows XP. I have attached CD-DVD rom drive recently. Plugs are in the right spots, connections are tight. My problem is with my CD-DVD rom drive. I cant read discs from it. I put in DVD, R, and RW with programs on them and nothing comes up.

What should I do?

Dont laugh at me, I got a Dell - OptiPlex GX620 tower with Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.80 GHz Level 2 Cache 512KB integrated. This sucker as two HDD on seperate partations, 1 HDD is holding Windows XP. I have attached CD-DVD rom drive recently. Plugs are in the right spots, connections are tight. My problem is with my CD-DVD rom drive. I cant read discs from it. I put in DVD, R, and RW with programs on them and nothing comes up.

What should I do?

Can you boot disks from the drive?

I can install a CD-Rom emulator and create a guest OS. But the CD-Rom drive it self has no action happening from it.

If you press F12 (I think) you can take a "One time boot option" Try that and selecting to boot from the CD Drive.

Are you able to try the drive in another system / or try a different drive in this system. Might also be worth while changing the (IDE/SATA) cable to the drive.

CD drives are only $10 might be worth getting a spare.

Are you certain that it is a CD/DVD-ROM drive and not just a CD/RW drive?

Yeah I am sure its a CD/DvD-Rom drive. I tried all type of cds to cover the basics.

If you press F12 (I think) you can take a "One time boot option" Try that and selecting to boot from the CD Drive.

Are you able to try the drive in another system / or try a different drive in this system. Might also be worth while changing the (IDE/SATA) cable to the drive.

CD drives are only $10 might be worth getting a spare.

The drive works fine on other systems. Just tested it. Are there extranel CD/DVD-rom drives out there some where I can try to use?

Was the OS preinstalled? Maybe there is a GP to deny external media. Its possible to ignore all CD and Flash media. What does the bios say about the device?

The drive works fine on other systems. Just tested it. Are there extranel CD/DVD-rom drives out there some where I can try to use?

Yes :) there are - where are you from? What is the model of your Dell (need to check it supports USB boot) Found it OptiPlex GX620

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Open up the case and see which SATA port the drive is on. It will be labeled on the motherboard. The number will be between 0-3. Close case,

3. Turn on computer when the dell screen come up press F2 .

4. Goto drives then to whatever SATA port the drive is on, and switch it to on.

Was the OS preinstalled? Maybe there is a GP to deny external media. Its possible to ignore all CD and Flash media. What does the bios say about the device?

The OS was installed by a 2nd party. They rebuild the computer and installed XP on it. The bios says Unknown Hardware.

Yes :) there are - where are you from? What is the model of your Dell (need to check it supports USB boot) Found it OptiPlex GX620

Im from Indiana.

Change the cable, check the jumpers (boy, its been a while since I said that) and check BIOS to see if it shows up.

Will do that, I ordered fresh cables from store.

1. Turn off your computer.

2. Open up the case and see which SATA port the drive is on. It will be labeled on the motherboard. The number will be between 0-3. Close case,

3. Turn on computer when the dell screen come up press F2 .

4. Goto drives then to whatever SATA port the drive is on, and switch it to on.

Its IDE not SATA but I will try and follow this.

The OS was installed by a 2nd party. They rebuild the computer and installed XP on it. The bios says Unknown Hardware.

Im from Indiana.

Will do that, I ordered fresh cables from store.

Its IDE not SATA but I will try and follow this.

Is the drive sharing a ribbon with a hard drive? or does it have its own link? If its shared, make sure that the jumper settings have been changed to slave secondary.

problem solved. Thanks guys for the help. I replaced the cables with fresh new ones. Now I got a problem with windows start up. A error comes up talking about missing CSRSS.exe in C:/Windows/Config I am sure this is a virues program. What would be the smart way to getit off?

I think your jumpers are set wrong.

But that error can occur for any number of reasons including: dying hard disk, damaged RAM, damaged disk cable, broken disk controller, basically any thing related to data access, storage or processing.

I should just run it until it dies then. Do you know if there is a work around to hide the pop-up?

What should I do?

It's a dell smash it...

no seriously did you buy it new?...

1, Rules of thumb is, check wire with other hardware ( or use new wires if you wish)

2. Check jumpers on back

3. Check in bios to see if detected correctly

4. check back with us after you do this

I should just run it until it dies then. Do you know if there is a work around to hide the pop-up?

I apologies, I was under the impression that the error prevented the OS from loading as it is the type of error that can occur as a result of a hardware fault. If the error is appearing once the OS has loaded and is running then it's some thing else.

Ahh I will just ignore it then. The error message does pop-up once. I did not buy this Dell POS (Piece of Shit) I got it for free from a friend of a friend. Thanks guys for reading and helping my out. HAK5 RULES!