Jump to content

OpenVPN Access Server + Nokia N810 + iPhone


RedPenguin
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have installed the OpenVPN Access Server on a Ubuntu Server VM in VirtualBox and it works beautifully for Windows clients, as I'm at my college right now using it to type this message.

Though for my Nokia Internet Tablet N810, I have to manually configure the DNS putting the DNS in /etc/resolv.conf after running OpenVPN with the config file. Problems arise if I forget to change it back later.

My jailbroken iPhone after using openvpn-iphone will connect fine but after trying to force DNS, it still will not connect to anything.

Any recommendations so my two portable devices can work as nice as Windows?

EDIT: I got the Nokia working so far, it's just the iPhone doesn't want to run the script, so I have to tweak a little more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have installed the OpenVPN Access Server on a Ubuntu Server VM in VirtualBox and it works beautifully for Windows clients, as I'm at my college right now using it to type this message.

Though for my Nokia Internet Tablet N810, I have to manually configure the DNS putting the DNS in /etc/resolv.conf after running OpenVPN with the config file. Problems arise if I forget to change it back later.

My jailbroken iPhone after using openvpn-iphone will connect fine but after trying to force DNS, it still will not connect to anything.

Any recommendations so my two portable devices can work as nice as Windows?

EDIT: I got the Nokia working so far, it's just the iPhone doesn't want to run the script, so I have to tweak a little more.

My college network has only TCP 80 and TCP 443 permitted, and even though my Nokia N810 connects to the VPN fine on the college network, my iPhone with the EXACT same settings, refuses to connect, even though it works on every other network.

Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
My college network has only TCP 80 and TCP 443 permitted, and even though my Nokia N810 connects to the VPN fine on the college network, my iPhone with the EXACT same settings, refuses to connect, even though it works on every other network.

Any ideas?

NvM, I figured this out. I had to make a script that upon using the VPN, forced the proper DNS to be given to scutil, then I had to upon closing, rewrite scutil with the original internal DNS servers for my college network.

The reason it worked on other networks, is the used public DNS servers, so all was well, but my college network uses internal DNS, which messes the VPN up, since obviously they can't be reached externally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...