Ubuntu 9.10 Released

sablefoxx

While I do side with you wh1t3 and n3rdy, I will also have to admit they have it coming to them. Now let's say a little distro such as... mmm ill pick SLI-TAZ. Let's say you download it and it doesnt work out. No big deal, it's an independant distro, folks can only do so much, they don't promise anything, and if they deliver than that's awesome.

Ubuntu on the other hand, with Canonical running the place, does put a target on their back for support of some type or another, especially on joe blow hardware.

"Canonical's mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. In just three years, Canonical has been globally recognised as a leading provider of services to both individual and corporate open source software users.

We achieve our mission by:

* delivering Ubuntu, the world's best free software platform

* ensuring its availability to everyone

* supporting it with high quality professional service and engineering offerings

* facilitating the continued growth and development of the free software community

" - http://www.canonical.com/

Now this does not come out right and say "I Promise it will work for you" but what it does say is they will do their best to ensure it does. This is not their best. Especially when I have an Acer Aspire One that was having problems. They come out with a distro just for this laptop (and recent full ubuntu versions worked otb as well), so this is a company that supports and helps develop the distro.

They should have been all over this.

Also I have noticed that there is no real proper direction on the forums of Ubuntu for support or fixes for things. Now things like flash.. well we have all went round for round on that on Linux and Mac, and that's no one else's fault but Adobe's, but when it's like this, that's crap. Sure I got it working, and that's great, but why did it happen in the first place is my question. They have been beta testing for months now.

I can't tell you how many times I have went to Ubuntu's site for an issue with stuff that came on the iso that there were a few people who have had the same issue for quite some time, but with no answer from the team. This is why I say that Ubuntu is going south, cause when you get an actual business into the equation then it's got to work or something is wrong with the picture.

This is why even though I really do like Ubuntu, I do not think that it's going to overtake Microsoft anytime soon. More likely it will overthrow Apple sooner or later (at least on the phone market). But even that is unlikely because there are very few and far between turnkey "killer apps" on linux..

well, unless you count pentesting and hacking..

Ubuntu pose no threat to Apple or Microsoft, these are multi billion $ enterprises with huge amounts invested in support, training and career development. Just look at Microsofts knowledge base and support materials, or the fact that Microsoft will stay on the phone for as long as it takes to fix a problem. Ubuntu is a minor player here, look at Novel or RedHat, who are also worth billions, and then look at the fact that Canonical is basically being funded at a loss out of Mark Shuttleworths pocket. While they are a popular distro, they aren't making the type of money required to be a threat, they give away the bulk of there software, and the support site is a joke compared to the MS Knowledge base.

ubuntu looks too much like XP? if I use windoze I always use XP. quite simply because I hate bloated OSes. I loved win2K and as far as I'm concerned the main reason I use Ubuntu is because I'm fed up to the back teeth of spyware/malware removal (not always on my machine) and the fact that no matter how hard I try I can never keep my OS as quick as when it was first installed. As far as windows is concerned I installed it for a while and it was quite nippy , however do I really need that much horsepower just to run an operating system? I quite often use VM's for various testing purposes and to be fair I loved M$ VirtualPC until I tried VMware workstation under ubuntu! browsing the net is so painless! and why is it that no matter what M$ OS I use it kills my hard drive when running a game with virtual memory etc??? but when I run the same game under linux (using wine) I can use my computer straight away after playing the game.If you really need an operating system to bounce around the screen and play a fanfare just to load a web browser then maybe you really should stick with windows , otherwise wake up and smell the coffee...

The ubunut forums aren't used to track ubuntu issues and have fixes applied. You need to submit a bug report if you want to do that. The other reason I think people are harsh on Linux is because so many people already prirate Windows so they get it for free as well. If everyone always paid for windows I think they would appreciate Linux a little more because basicaly it is an amazing free product.

ubuntu looks too much like XP? if I use windoze I always use XP. quite simply because I hate bloated OSes. I loved win2K and as far as I'm concerned the main reason I use Ubuntu is because I'm fed up to the back teeth of spyware/malware removal (not always on my machine) and the fact that no matter how hard I try I can never keep my OS as quick as when it was first installed. As far as windows is concerned I installed it for a while and it was quite nippy , however do I really need that much horsepower just to run an operating system? I quite often use VM's for various testing purposes and to be fair I loved M$ VirtualPC until I tried VMware workstation under ubuntu! browsing the net is so painless! and why is it that no matter what M$ OS I use it kills my hard drive when running a game with virtual memory etc??? but when I run the same game under linux (using wine) I can use my computer straight away after playing the game.If you really need an operating system to bounce around the screen and play a fanfare just to load a web browser then maybe you really should stick with windows , otherwise wake up and smell the coffee...

First of all, windoze, m$? Are we suddenly in the 90's again? As for spyware and malware, the only people I've seen who get those these days are people who you would be hard pushed to trust with the cardboard box the computer comes in. UAC, better browser protection, anti-virus/malware software and better practices all help to make this a mild threat at most.

As for speed, if you know what your doing and maintain your computer, this isn't an issue. While it is true that Vista wasn't that fast on low end kit, it absolutely flew if you had a decent amount of ram (I have 8GB which I don't consider excessive) coupled to a C2D or better CPU. In my experience, Windows 7 runs faster than XP on the same kit. Bouncing windows and useless graphical frippery is my biggest complaint about Compiz, along with the fact that the control panel app for it is about as user friendly as a Chinese space shuttle. In comparison, Windows 7 feels a lot more polished and understated, it looks nice and doesn't get in the way. VMWare desktop is a much better product than VirtualPC, no matter which OS your using.

Windows 7 is a good desktop OS, its fast (runs fine on a Via C7 and Intel Atom) and is a world better than XP. What I don't like about ubuntu is that it just looks dated compared to this, and the fabled speed increases don't seem to amount to a great deal when I actually use it.

The ubunut forums aren't used to track ubuntu issues and have fixes applied. You need to submit a bug report if you want to do that. The other reason I think people are harsh on Linux is because so many people already prirate Windows so they get it for free as well. If everyone always paid for windows I think they would appreciate Linux a little more because basicaly it is an amazing free product.

That I agree with tbh, linux, for all its flaws, is pretty damn cool. The reason I continue to download each new release, try it out and then complain is pretty much because I want it to be good. If I didn't I'd just sit there posting snide remarks about fanboys with IE. I also spend most of my time on computers in an enterprise wintel environment, so I will admit that what I look for in an OS isn't what everyone else here might look for. Linux is pretty good, and is getting better, I just feel we need to be honest about the areas its not so good in if we want it to be better.

A simple point I was discussing on Reddit was connecting an iPod touch to an Ubuntu system, the official Ubuntu help page is nearly 6000 words long, and basically boils down to this. You either install XP in a VM to run iTunes, or you jailbreak and use sftp to copy music over, hack the database to see it and do without cover art. If your on firmware 3, you out of luck completely unless you know how to use git. For geeks, this might be fine, I doubt anyone here would have a problem with this process. But from a consumer point of view this is unacceptable, you have to void your warranty, spend ages hacking it to work and you will end up with a less functional device. I know Apple has a share of this blame, but Ubuntu is in a prime position to work with Apple to come up with a better solution.

I also agree, and as a matter of fact, the reason why I have dogged on it (personal reasons anyways) is really cause I am the type that roots for the underdog, which sometimes means beating the dog with a shoe when it does something bad lol.

I guess every time though that I do download the next release, I am looking for that oooh feature that linux has provided here and there throughout the release cycle. If not something totally new, then something that makes me think 'it's getting a lot closer'. Case in point - Ubuntu 7.?(can't remember the revision) to Ubuntu 8.04. Huge difference. It actually worked with most of my hardware otb! That was pretty much a first for any linux distro as far as I was concerned and I was mesmerized by it.

But then at the same time, I was not used to it at all. Had NO idea how to kick around in the shell, and barely NO ONE was using it back then. Now linux is pretty close (well as far as computer geeks like us go) to becoming a house hold name. Many people know about it, and there are tons of people using it. Unfortunately I have gotten used to it, which is for better or worse I guess. A little bit of both ways really. Better because it has came so far, but yet, I want so much more. The kernel I think, is where it needs to be, but it's the apps and services that need to get better.

Gnome doesn't need to change. I think it's THE most elegant PC interface south of Windows 7's. Sure KDE4 is all pretty, but then I never liked the GUI management of it. It always seemed just down right clunky to me.

3rd party support in the most major players are what I think is the short stick for linux of any kind right about now. Mainly your top contenders: Apple, Microsoft, and *most* Game Makers. If any linux distro could pull all 3 or even 2 out of 3 into the tent, then we would be in some serious business here.

But even at this I guess I have to stop and make myself think.. How far the kernel and linux as a whole have come?

People who know nothing about computers are using it like crazy on netbooks, hell even grandma's that can't afford a new pc are using it to cut costs on older hardware just so they can surf the web and check email.

Two years ago, no one hardly heard of linux in cumulative populational terms, but now darned near everybody has either seen or used it at one point or another.

So I guess the question stands, where does it go from here? Will Linux beat the cloud? Will Linux BE the cloud? Will Scooby and Shaggy get to the bottom of the mysterious wolfhound humanoid? Find out next time!!! lol.

I also want to point out I hat epeople who try Linux, something doesn't work so they write it off and say it is shit. One of the best things about Linux is for the ability of the end user to become involved and try and fix bugs as they come across them.

I second VaKo's thoughts on why he tries various distros and then complains, and likewise his points about usability and the iPod. Being able to fix it yourself is great if 1) you have all the time in the world, 2) you're not actually trying to accomplish something. Numerous times I've decided to give Linux another crack in some project or other only to spend hours trying to make a few specific things work before I've even begun the thing I set out to do. Setting up Linux often becomes a project in itself, and that should not be the case.

Linux is an awesome example of freedom. People CHOOSING to make software for free.

Just updated my ubuntu it's goin good. Only issue was a package broke but was able to fix.

In general linux sucks. It's all dandy to show people a fancy desktop. However underneath lies a sewer of black screens with white text. Kinda like windows but to a greater extent.

I'll put windows on mums computer before i put linux on it.