Ubuntu 9.10 Released

sablefoxx

@Vako, 10.04

The only thing I can think of right now that the Ubuntu GUI has that Win 7 doesnt, is the Cube.. If Win 7 had the cube desktop ability it would be all over. :)

Something about rolling your compiz desktop cube around with the mouse makes my eyes & mouse finger happy

I don't really find compiz to be all that useful, if anything it's too excessive for my tastes. I like a little eye candy, but jelly windows and 7-dimensional cubes just get in the way.

Luckily you can customize it to fit your needs, from none (which will run on hardware that XP wouldn't even touch), to a forty sided sphere, that's right I said a forty sided sphere .

But i defiantly agree I've lost windows in the infinite maze of Compiz taken to its limits, but like 555 melikes a cubed desktop (not that it cant be done on the windows site of things).

The cube is something I do like, very useful and I've never gotten it to work quite right on Windows which is a shame. Although that may have more to do with multi-monitors. But the best of compiz is a maze of poorly documented menus with sliders that either do nothing or render your desktop unusable. Where W7 wins here is that while its not as customizable, the default is subtle, and it works. I don't want to get acid flashbacks every time I try and play an MP3.

Just finished dual booting all my machines (x5) with win 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. For the most part I am liking the latest ubuntu. I had a minor issue with no sound on one of my media desktop but got that up and running shortly after.

Also having problems with the wireless not working at all on my dell 1525 which uses the Broadcom BCM4310. I had a quick google but am yet to find a solution.

I must admit I like the eye candy that compiz brings but with that said I rarely use it. I recall moonlit posting a link to YODM for a windows cube a while ago and I still use that without fail when I am in class running a few VM's.

Also having problems with the wireless not working at all on my dell 1525 which uses the Broadcom BCM4310. I had a quick google but am yet to find a solution.

You're gonna have to use proprietary broadcom drivers.

I read online somewhere that the restricted STA drivers should work but it didn't seem to take. Looks like I am gonna have to go to the trouble of creating an ndiswrapper. Damn its been a year since I last did it and kind of forget. =P

I read online somewhere that the restricted STA drivers should work but it didn't seem to take. Looks like I am gonna have to go to the trouble of creating an ndiswrapper. Damn its been a year since I last did it and kind of forget. =P

You should look at this: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19514 . It's not for Ubuntu, but it should help you get the drivers set up. Don't use ndiswrapper, ever ever ever.

Well, I have it loaded on my laptop... Wheewww. Can't connect to the net by ANY means unless I set my wap as a completely unsecure access point?!

Well seems to me like Canonical has started following the Microsoft tradition.. If it worked before.. It's not going to this time (well until people get pissed and they finally put shit in that they left out the first time.)

Sorry to all, I'm not trying to be a troll. I love Ubuntu, matter of fact, I think the interface looks sweet, finally replacing the standard issue default theme, and boot times... eh. don't really see a difference at all (Win7 boots faster on my laptop)

The bottom line is for me that everytime they come out with a major release they break something that affects me using it, unless I want to jump through hoops getting it to work.. Yes I know it's free and open source, but if it's just an upgrade (ala 9.04 - 9.10) then why should stuff that worked in 9.04 perfectly stop working now?!

Oh well, I think I am going to try reinstalling, or seeing if it will connect through the live usb. My major bitch with this is that even in bare metal minimalist distros like puppy and unity work perfect OTB, but a bloated cure all distro can't deliver...

Well, see you all again for 10.x

**Update, still no connectivity through laptop***

Also, I have the same issue with the Acer Aspire One.

If it were just the wireless not working, then that wouldn't be a hard fix but... It's ethernet as well. I don't understand this.

and those problems are usually always related to Wireless, graphics and occasional sound. Finally fixed all of my little driver issues on my system.

Oddly enough I wanted to watch a movie on my win 7 install and the thing crashed like twice on boot and when it finally loaded I tried to access my DVD-ROM and the bloody thing idled out....

I gave up and just watched the frigging thing in Ubuntu, its nice to have a reliable backup OS sometimes. XD

Well seems to me like Canonical has started following the Microsoft tradition.. If it worked before.. It's not going to this time (well until people get pissed and they finally put shit in that they left out the first time.)

What are you talking about? the last change Microsoft made like this was with the first release in the Windows 6.x family, Vista, Canonical does this shit on a 6 month timetable. One of the biggest things that is holding back Ubuntu is the lack-luster efforts it puts into keeping things compatible across releases. Who honestly gives a shit about getting a new OS every 6 months?

What are you talking about? the last change Microsoft made like this was with the first release in the Windows 6.x family, Vista, Canonical does this shit on a 6 month timetable. One of the biggest things that is holding back Ubuntu is the lack-luster efforts it puts into keeping things compatible across releases. Who honestly gives a shit about getting a new OS every 6 months?

... this is true. Actually I know why. Because everytime there is a new release, everyone downloads it in *hopes* that they have fixed something that has been broken for them.

That is the one thing I have always noticed about linux in general... It's a great OS as long as you don't mess with it (after you get everything working). It's never about configuration files, or write out screw ups, just upgrades to stuff. BTW, I thought compatibility across releases was one of the reasons why Canonical was a good pick to get into Ubuntu in the first place? Oh well. Mandriva all over again :P

Well at least 7 is doing well :)