Acer aspire one backtrack problem

Mark

Hey,

I recently purchased an acer aspire one AOA150 netbook and got to work installing XP PRO, worked no problem but.. then i tried backtrack 3, can i get it to work? no!

I booted it from USB and successfully cracked my WEP *cough* as a test run, all is OK so i then attempted a harddrive install, fail.

After an hour or so trying to do it manually in the end it was there but i cannot scan for networks, which wireless do i use?

- ath0

- wifi0

Any good guides on dual booting XP and BT3?

Much appreciated, Mark.

Type ifconfig -a and you should see all the physical adapters it sees. Usually eth0 is your wired lan, and eth1 could be your wireless but most likely will be somehting like wlan0 or ath0. It really depends on the card and chipset though and what it sees the device as. For example, my wireless card is listed as rausb0 based on the chipset in the card. If you use somehting like airmon to start and stop the card, it may give it a custom name so you will have the normal name for managed mode and another name for monitor mode.

After an hour or so trying to do it manually in the end it was there but i cannot scan for networks, which wireless do i use?

- ath0

- wifi0

If you just want to scan networks try iwlist ath0 scan or iwlist wifi0 scan but you are looking for "WEP" networks do the following:

- in terminal type airmon-ng (to see your adapters)

- then type airmon-ng [adapter] start

- then again type airmon-ng (this will show your new monitor adapter usually mon0)

- then type airodump-ng mon0 (you should now be able to scan networks)

Any good guides on dual booting XP and BT3?

As far as dual booting, I have it but I use BT4 because it has a debian base and can be updated. BT3 is slax based still good but old. Install XP first and then install BT4 that way you don't have to worry about configuring the grub.