H@c!nt0sh

NenerX3

Just curious, why are you going through all of the trouble of building a hackintosh for a server? I can't think of any advantages OSX has in the server environment over linux or BSD.

OS X Server's advantage is that everything is simplified into wizards and step-by-step installers rather than endless config files etc etc etc

Like setting up LDAP, a pain to many people on linux/bsd but on OS X server is stupidly simple, granted you do loose some of the customisability.

OS X Server's advantage is that everything is simplified into wizards and step-by-step installers rather than endless config files etc etc etc

Like setting up LDAP, a pain to many people on linux/bsd but on OS X server is stupidly simple, granted you do loose some of the customisability.

I guess... just doesn't seem to level out how much system resources you could save by not using OSX in my mind.

I don't really see the point since you won't be supported by Apple, and a server in a production environment isn't worth zip without support. Plus, I hear many bad things about Apples server OS, mainly that they are not really geared up to take on MS, Novel, RedHat or Sun when it comes to the abilities of the OS.

having setup many osx servers on my company network which happens to mostly be a hybrid of novell (450+servers), microsoft (650+ servers), and about 50 or so linux flavor servers, I can say with out a doubt that setting up and configuring an osx server is a really easy thing. as far as stability goes there have been no real problems, at least no more than any other os. When it comes to performance, i have no complaints either. the os has never been a bottleneck for us.