ftp server question

ParMan

not really a question. i just know nothing about them and i would like to learn. i searched but i was unable to find anything maybe i didn't look in the right places if anyone knows anything (which I'm sure there are a lot of people out their). i would appreciate your help. if i over looked a topic with all this information a nice little like would be great thanks.

What is FTP?

"File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used to exchange and manipulate files over a TCP/IP based network, such as the Internet. FTP is built on a client-server architecture and utilizes separate control and data connections between the client and server applications. Client applications were originally interactive command-line tools with a standardized command syntax, but graphical user interfaces have been developed for all desktop operating systems in use today. FTP is also often used as an application component to automatically transfer files for program internal functions. FTP can be used with user-based password authentication or with anonymous user access. The Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) is a similar, but simplified, not interoperable, and unauthenticated version of FTP."

Issues with Security?

"The original FTP specification is an inherently unsecure method of transferring files because there is no method specified for transferring data in an encrypted fashion. This means that under most network configurations, user names, passwords, FTP commands and transferred files can be captured by anyone on the same network using a packet sniffer. This is a problem common to many Internet protocol specifications written prior to the creation of SSL, such as HTTP, SMTP and Telnet. The common solution to this problem is to use either SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), or FTPS (FTP over SSL), which adds SSL or TLS encryption to FTP as specified in RFC 4217"

All infomation from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol (2nd link on google).

Otherwise if you want to set up a client / server on a windows box, then i suggest FileZilla, has always worked well for me.