Secure Linux Distro

ryanb

i am looking to build an encrypted VM to hold my very very private data, (nothing dodgy) the VM will be held on an external drive which will be encryped and the LVM partiton will be encryped within, my question is what is the most secure linux distro that is known of it isnt planned to be running full time only as its needed and will be stored off site securly,

the reason for wanting the hardcore security is because it will be off site and i dont want to open any chance of someone else just been able to read or brute force any of the data on the drive and then within the VM

Really and Linux distro is secure, just make sure that it is fully updated, and make sure that you follow secure practices while configuring the system. Are you worried about remote or local attacks, because from what I can tell, you are more concerned about local, in which case I would put a BIOS password on (really only a speed bump), and use a different password for the system and the encrypted drive, and make sure that the passwords are secure.

i am looking to build an encrypted VM to hold my very very private data, (nothing dodgy) the VM will be held on an external drive which will be encryped and the LVM partiton will be encryped within, my question is what is the most secure linux distro that is known of it isnt planned to be running full time only as its needed and will be stored off site securly,

the reason for wanting the hardcore security is because it will be off site and i dont want to open any chance of someone else just been able to read or brute force any of the data on the drive and then within the VM

Why use a virtual machine to store data? Why not just use a truecrypt volume?

Hi,

the VM is because my backup software will be a disk to disk solution (i will pull the data from my build/test servers to the drive for sending to the customer, i then will restore it to the final live server) hence the linux level partition encyption will take care of the OS level side of things

the true crypt side of things will be to encrypt the removable disk and to hide the data they will just see some other random data

i know its a over complicated idea but given that i recently had a drives stolen (which was with another engineer who was ment to lock it away...) with products and code i had written on it if it happens again they wont see anything that will be of much use

i would carry the data with me at all times but its not always that straight forward (it can be from 500gigs up so 2.5inch drives are still a little out of reach) as when these disks are not with me they are with the customer and they have been stolen in transit or from the customer sites,

i was merly asking if there was a suitabley hardened OS distro out there to go with my own security procedures of strong passwords, minimal daemon's running etc etc

also sorry, reading back at my first post it wasnt all that clear perhaps i should be a little less tipsy when writing!

Check out dmcrypt luks. I've set up Ubuntu and the latest BackTrack with it. The only thing not eccrypted is the boot folder which is it's own partition.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=4...ht=dmcrypt+luks

I second this, Truecrypt is ok for windows users but the linux kernel does well enough with encryption using dm crypt.

You don't need install anything extra and it's better integrated.

openBSD

<strong>openBSD</strong>