good phone on at&t?

NUSHOR

with less than a month till my upgrade, I started thinking about what phone to get that meets my geeky needs and also doesn't require a data plan. The only one I have come across as of now is the LG Xenon, which isn't all that hackable. does anybody have any suggestions?

whatever you do, don't get the Moto Hint (QA30). I have it (with another provider) it's pretty neat but non-hackable pretty much and also, has lots of bugs (turns itself off or locks up or restarts at least once a day regardless if in heavy operation or not)

I would opt for a lower end nokia since you know for a fact that they are hackable.

If work didn't provide me with a BlackBerry I'd get an iPhone (I might be tempted to look at HTC/Windows latest offerings or even the Android)

I don't think I could ever go back to having a phone without a data plan, despite my dislike for most things Apple - the iPhone to me just makes sense (as do most 'next gen' phones)

I figure cost is the issue, in that case I'd recommend picking up a smart phone that has WiFi built in, so you could use all of its features when you are in range of a hotspot. I go to school with a girl who has an iPhone 3g like mine on a prepaid plan. I know other people who have blackberries w/o a data plan on a standard rate plan. I myself took the data plan off my curve when I moved it to my 2nd line after I got my iPhone and for a while I had to take the data plan off that too b/c of financial reasons.

You know that's not a bad idea going with a smartphone w/wifi on a without-data plan... I would personally, but UNFORTUNATELY my carrier (cellular south) doesn't do sim cards, so only their sold phones *preprogrammed* and no smart phone without a data plan (hence why I bought the moto hint..)

BUT I can't knock the service, and the plan price... so... data is 2nd seat for me right now (though as soon as were back on our feet, we may get it). With my service, you can get a sweet android or Palm, but you have to either get the crappy smart phone plan (50$ for 300 day time min. a mo. ?!) or couple with another plan for.... $40 extra a mo. I pay less than that for my 6mb DSL...

SOB!!!! I just checked their website... Unlimited Voice/Data - $79.99 + another line 1/2 off = $119.99 a mo... Hell that's better than what we have now... Where's my wallet?!

I have to admit, I can't quite understand how anyone still uses SIMless phones, I can't imagine lacking the convenience that removable SIMs provide. I can switch number, plan or network at will, and pretty much all of the networks here in the UK provide free prepay SIMs at various times to allow you to switch if your particular GSM device (phone/modem/whatever) is unlocked. I haven't seen a SIMless phone in the UK for years, and only because I used to pick up old, used phones as a kid to play with.

Still, on topic, I have to say I'm leaning more and more towards getting some form of proper data plan. I often find myself wishing I didn't have to pay for 1 day/week/month of data just for a quick and simple thing which might otherwise cost me significantly when I could have a perminant connection that I don't have to worry about paying extra for. I'm certain I'd be a lot more connected if I didn't have to worry about specifically paying for each time I used it.

As for the point in hand, I'd say look around, check out what's available to you, see what catches your eye. It's a personal taste thing, I love my HTC Kaiser and to some it's an ugly, outdated brick with a shitty OS. To me, however, it's a do-everything pocket companion with a hardware keyboard and an extremely powerful OS (ok, the UI's not brilliant, but it has a zillion apps of any kind you could conceive, and you can write new ones very easily in Visual Studio).

Keep an eye on other networks too because you might get a "new customer" deal for joining up with them, perhaps a little more discount off the phone or a better contract. If you have a choice, I'd recommend a GSM phone because you can take them to other networks and other countries and they're easier to sell when you're done with it.

I have to admit, I can't quite understand how anyone still uses SIMless phones, I can't imagine lacking the convenience that removable SIMs provide. I can switch number, plan or network at will, and pretty much all of the networks here in the UK provide free prepay SIMs at various times to allow you to switch if your particular GSM device (phone/modem/whatever) is unlocked. I haven't seen a SIMless phone in the UK for years, and only because I used to pick up old, used phones as a kid to play with.

Most third world countries have better cell systems than the US.....

Your all missing the point. Smartphones are designed to use data, get a cheap data-plan and it will make things so much easier. I don't know what the costs are but in the UK you can get 500MB to 1GB for £5 on top of a normal monthly contract.

yes but you see to get a smart phone with anything good on it, it requires a $30 a month dataplan or higher. As for the HTC and iPhone, they require the $30 dollar or higher dataplan, and the HTC is the only phone with wifi and a touchscreen/keyboard, plus its 200 bucks. A little much for me to pay, considering im still in highschool. I am considering a dataplan, although i would end up paying 50 dollars a month because of my unlimited txting, and thats 600 dollars a year.

However I just saw the quickfire, which seems to be pretty decent, but im scared because of its cheap price.

thanks for all your replys btw.

I Have to stick with AT&T because i'm currently on a family plan. I think the LG Xenon might be the way for me to go here sadly. Maybe in a year or so I will get a dataplan, but as of now its just too expensive and I have other bills to pay. eff the economy.

Actually data plans have started coming WAY down recently in the US. As an example... A year ago, if you wanted ANY data enabled smart phone you were paying at least $30 for a really crappy plan a mo., then $50 for the DATA PLAN, and then $200 minimum on the phone.

And if you were looking for a decent plan you were looking in the range of $45 to $50 a mo. BEFORE the $50 data plan, so that's $90 a month for something half assed decent, but now you can generally get it all for around $50 total per mo. If not then not much more (usually on cell providers like mine where their sales are mostly Husband/Wife/Kids type sales, so it just pays to get the 2nd cell phone/plan.

Oh btw, actually it seems a lot of providers in the US are looking into going BACK into preprogrammed phones instead of sim enabled ones. Mainly though I think because the phones themselves are so cheap (and the other provider almost ALWAYS has the phone you want) so that way your stuck in a plan with their phone on their network at least till the contract is out.