FreeBSD GUI?

VaKo

So I had no internet for a few days, i built a new box with dual 500mhz Intel P3's, 1GB ECC SDRAM & 1 x 30GB IDE (I have 2 x 30GB scsi discs, but I couldn't figure them out). I installed FreeBSD 6.1, made sure to select GNOME while I was selecting the packages, and rebooted. Only to be met with a command line. Which is great if you know what your doing... but if your a *nix n00b like myself it sucks. So how do i get FreeBSD to install like Suse or Ubuntu, and boot into a gui where I can load firefox, and google for help?

(I know I should be using the CLI, but right now I just want point & click)

See... my problem with *nix is that there is no n00bs guide, nothing along the lines of "if you have never used anything like this, do this list of things in this order and it get you into a friendly place you can start from". Just "well... there is a good book on the subject, and these 5 forums have everything you need to know. spread out across 30000 posts."... Everything in the *nix world references to something else in the *nix world, so if your an outsider, your googling every second world.

Thanks for everyones help on this, I may bitch about *nix, but its only because I'm missing the windows F1=contextual help. The information is there, but not in the easyest of places to find some times... and trying to get help without the internet is a mission.

Nice one, had been trying to use [command] show | more...

Might be worth me doing a wright-up detailing my expirences going to linux from the windows world. If i'm having problems, then I bet others are to.

If you're not sure whether or not install a package, a quick google of the man page may help you decide if you want it, too.

See the thing was, when I was installing it, I didn't have the internet. What ever you think about MS, you have to admit that there help files are comprehensive and easy to find & use...