Motherboard with 6+ sata's for da cheap :)

unixpro

Hey guys im looking for a board 775 , with at least 6 sata onboard , does anyone know of or know were to get one cheers

speaking of SATA ports, is there some kind of splicer or something that I can run 2 SATA drives from one cable?

My motherboard only has 2 places it looks like for a SATA drive, one is being used by my CD/DVD-drive, the other is being used by my hard drive.. but i have another SATA hard drive i would like to use as as slave drive..

speaking of SATA ports, is there some kind of splicer or something that I can run 2 SATA drives from one cable?

My motherboard only has 2 places it looks like for a SATA drive, one is being used by my CD/DVD-drive, the other is being used by my hard drive.. but i have another SATA hard drive i would like to use as as slave drive..

Need to either switch out the optical for an IDE version (you should have at least one channel) or slap in an expansion card.

The Sata spec only allows one drive per cord. No daisy chaining this time around...

I'm with lord necron. Sounds like it's time for either an expansion card or another mother.. board.

BTW most newer mtbs come with 4 sata ports. Some do have 6 though..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131326

This one has 10 sata ports :P

That sucks.. guess it is time for a new bare bones kit.. I have tried to replace a CPU and ended up ruining it. So I have been going with mobos with a cpu allready installed and box, everything from there i can install except for of course a water cooling system. Maybe if i can get my hands on another old box then i will try to replace the cpu again, dont really want to ruin my current one by mistake

That sucks.. guess it is time for a new bare bones kit.. I have tried to replace a CPU and ended up ruining it. So I have been going with mobos with a cpu allready installed and box, everything from there i can install except for of course a water cooling system. Maybe if i can get my hands on another old box then i will try to replace the cpu again, dont really want to ruin my current one by mistake

It's pretty hard to mess up a CPU install on any semi-modern installation. Take the old one out, drop the new one in; it only fits one way so don't force it, just let it fall in. And that mobo has 4 gigabit lan ports... the fuck?

I think the part i messed up on in the process was there is suppose to be some kind of silicone stuff or something you put in between the cpu chip and the socket that it fits into under the fan of it correct? I grounded my self to the metal frame of the pc box when taking it out and their was like some white pasty stuff inbetween the cpu and the cpu fan.. my first and only attempt was on a old box so if i messed up i did not lose out too much money wise, and im glad i tried it on a old box first because i f*cked it up

thread got hyjacked lol.

Yeah im running outta room for my raid i want 8 drives all 1tb , running a linux raid. But i have 2 x 2 port sata raid cards.

4 gigabit lan ports, 10 usb ports on the back, possibly another from the header on the board, 10 satas....I see a rather interesting core of a NAS+Firewall combo. And it's rather cheap too.

Saw it today in a local computer store. It's a lovely motherboard.

Hell you think that mobo is crazy...

This one is buck ass nuts!

TYAN S4985G3NR-SI Quad 1207(F) NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 + 2050 MEB Quad AMD 45nm Quad-Core Opteron 8300/8400 Series Processors Server Motherboard

Dunno why you would need a QUAD Nvidia setup in a server, but could you imagine the performance for gaming on that thing!!??? (well that is IF there was a game out there optimized for it)

Max memory: 128Gigs

4 PCIe X16 video slots

8 x SATA 3.0Gb/s

3 Gigabit nics

4 Quad core opteron slots

2 proprietary slots available for 2 MORE operon processors...

Hell I mean imagine 24cores @ your disposal.. Wow that would make one hell of a rendering box..

That made me chuckle :) I hope you've heard of DoA (Dead on Arrival) a method of returning kit I've broken with no questions asked :D muhahahaha

Excellent idea.. next box i get i am defintely taking the cpu out and putting it back in to see how the new ones are done while i still have the 30 day no questions asked warranty lol cant beleive i did not think of this before hehe i have done this with walmart so many times allready

and holy shit at the mobo.. 128 GB of RAM? how is that even possible that motherboard looks too small.. do they make 64gb ram chips now or what?

Drop; that must be for the newer motherboards, the one i tried was very old

and holy shit at the mobo.. 128 GB of RAM? how is that even possible that motherboard looks too small.. do they make 64gb ram chips now or what?

Drop; that must be for the newer motherboards, the one i tried was very old

It has 16 DDR2 slots... so 128GB / 16 slots = 8GB. Admittedly the 4GB modules are still around £100, so it would be rather expensive to do.

Sucks up lots of power though. 1 x 24pin, 1 x 4pin, 2 x 8pin.Not sure I've ever seen a supply with two 8 pin motherboard connectors. Admittedly, with a computer with that motherboard you'll probably have at least three power supplies.

I think you would most probably need 4xpower supplies to juice this board. Either that, or maybe it uses 2 for powering with 2 for redundancy. Either way, I would suppose if you did use this board maxed out, then you should expect your power bill to go up that month :P

This board must be mainly for things like rending severs, cad, and vector processing systems (3d video). I do not really see any other use for it besides a 1computer for 4 hardcore gamers type of box...

Would be a really wicked kit for a 4 person tourney though seeing as you could use the onboard video for spectator mode! Unfortunately the problem would arise that most games you cannot choose a video card/mouse for multiplayer between multiple monitors unless you used something like xen where you can distribute all the resources, input, and output for each monitor but even then, seeing as though when I tried to use xen it just seemed like such a pain in the ass to setup, it would not be worth it for me.

Possibly virtual box could be used though, since it has the new video api's, and it's really easy to assign most resources + you can still assign processor cores in windows 7

absolutely could not use ESXi though because the video performance is pure crap.