American built PC's are better then China built PC's

American/Western built PC's are better then China/Asian built PC's, and if you dont agree I would like to know why.. in all my experience American made stuff has always been better and lasted longer

<--- opens a can of worms

American/Western built PC's are better then China/Asian built PC's, and if you dont agree I would like to know why.. in all my experience American made stuff has always been better and lasted longer

<--- opens a can of worms

In China, you get what you pay for. Plus, America doesn't make anything anymore, might be designed in the states, but its all made in Asia.

Cheaper isn't really true these days, but if your building a one off system and know exactly what you want it is better. If you just want a computer, roughly know what you want and are more price concious, going to Dell can be a good option.

To a degree that is true. Dell can do those nice little hybrid pcs which are perfect for parents who know nothing and just want to use the net. No way I could build down to as cheap a level as that. Their mini inspirons are like €250 and was a perfect gift for my mother.

However if someone wants performance, a gaming machine, a number crunching behemoth, then build it yourself works out cheaper.

You can get some powerful machines from dell... If you've used them for servers, you know that you can get reasonably priced machines that are more then capable of running as the PDC on a mid sized deployment.

They also have alienware, which is not anything I've looked into recently, but in my mind has always been notoriously overpriced. I've never owned one, so the quality may reflect in the price.

One question I have for people who build their own machines claiming it's cheaper... do you include your own time in that estimate? How much do you charge for yourself?

I built a machine a few months ago, and from boxes to OS it took probably 5-6 hours. I did this when I was off the clock, but that additional $150-$180 "cost difference" of not having someone else put it together for me could be the deciding factor, especially if I have the opportunity to work or study instead.

Alienware are a rip off, I build better for less, sometimes over a thousand euro or more less. Their quality to price ratio is way out of whack. You are paying for a name.

And 6 hours start to finish? Sure if I am putting a watercooling loop in. Otherwise once I have all the parts it's about an hour, then maybe another for OS install and driver setup. If I am building a pc for someone else it's usuall whatever the cost of all the parts is then add 10% of that for me. If it's a friend or family, just give me coffee and food.

That's the thing, I used to have loads of free time when I was a student, but now i'm working full time it is often easier to just pay someone to do the leg work for you. I've built more computers than I care to remember, so i don't really get anything from the experience. I just know what I want parts wise.

Then again Dell doesn't make PCs they're actually just a big huge inventory management company. They sub-contract out all the PC building.

Just as most laptops aren't made by the companies whose name is on it. Search laptop ODM. I have a Sager at home it's made by Clevo who is the actual manufacturer. Which was nice on my old Sager when I had a problem and I called Tech Support I got connected to an engineer not a someone reading from a script on a screen.

IBM <i>was</i> one of the last companies to make their own computers. A few years back they stopped that.

Anyway's they're all assembled overseas in "Asia" where labor is dirt cheap and people are willing to do the work without flex time, health insurance and other benefits.

Nowadays it's comes down to features, price and god me help if I need it, tech support. The last thing I want to be asked when I call tech supportduring that short period when business contracts were outsourced is whether I tried turning it off and back on again. This stems from spending 2 hours running diagnostics on a machine before I called tech support only to be told to do it all again over the phone. Then spend another 2 hours (playing solitare) with tech support who, after the mind numbing two hours asked for the serial number and in 2 seconds replied. "Oh that model had a bad thermistor that would cause shutdowns above 80 deg F we'll send out a new motherboard". Yeah, I wasn't too happy to hear that and told them, "No you won't you'll have Hell rep on site tomorrow morning by 10am with the replacement parts and he will install and test the system."

Then again Dell doesn't make PCs they're actually just a <del>big</del> huge inventory management company. They sub-contract out all the PC building.

Just as most laptops aren't made by the companies whose name is on it. Search laptop ODM. I have a Sager at home it's made

IBM <i>was</i> one of the last companies to make their own computers. A few years back they stopped that.

Anyway's they're all assembled overseas in "Asia" where labor is dirt cheap and people are willing to do the work without flex time, health insurance and other benefits.

Dude, you lost part of a sentence there.

I have to add just one thing about a store bought PC though (disincluding the cheapos brands)

You cannot beat some of the support. Especially when it comes down to their own programs..

I had a recent issue with a client where their nic WOULD NOT WORK. I mean at all.. Not in Windows, or Ubuntu. The nic showed up fine, used multiple cat5 cables, used a different DSL modem, even my fon. Used the fon to do a wireshark on the nic, and nothing came from the computer. It would not even accept or deny a DHCP packet.

Ends up it was a Dell program that locked the nic in some odd mode that deemed it unusable...

And for the life of me I figured it was a bad nic, which was built onto the mtb, so that deemed an rpl system because it was only a week old.

However if it were not for Dell's ignorant techs, then this issue would have been handled at the first call, and if it were built by parts, then this issue would have never happened in the first place...

Just depends on what you wanna deal with.

I have 3 dells, all have worked great, I guess the problem is there is not enough stuff made here in America and everything is outsourced. I called tech support the other day and it was an indian call center, it took this lady on the phone like 15 minutes to get the spelling of my city correct. Maybe we need some more 100% American made pc's God knows we need more jobs here lol 100% American tech support as well, there are still a few companys like Hostmonster and GoDaddy that use local call centers for support instead of outsourcing, and the support is soooo much better. I found a company in NC which makes 100% American made pc's

http://www.velocitymicro.com/

and makes some top notch pc's, also arent Apples/Mac's American made also or do they subcontract out for the building of it..

and if I wanted to make the worst thread ever I would ask how to hack into my girlfriends myspace :) j/k

The Indian tech support dell has are excellent, all I have to do is call up, explain what the problem is, and what I want replacing, the calls take no longer than 5 mins. If we get stuck on spellings (I have a half Russian, half German name...) I simply switch to the NATO phonetic alphabet. Job done. The best bit is when you can get them to drop the script, even just for a second.

The Indian tech support dell has are excellent, all I have to do is call up, explain what the problem is, and what I want replacing, the calls take no longer than 5 mins. If we get stuck on spellings (I have a half Russian, half German name...) I simply switch to the NATO phonetic alphabet. Job done. The best bit is when you can get them to drop the script, even just for a second.

I never knew there was a name for that "NATO phoetic alphabet" I used a similiar way of trying to get the girl to understand what I was saying, for example M as in Mary, A as in Adam, I as in Indian, M as in Miami, ect.. she just didnt get it. This was not dell support though who I was calling. I have never needed to call dell tech support yet.

lol funny you mention the script, at the last call center i worked at we used to frown upon useing scripts. As long as you verify who they are 2 times and do like the intro script and the outro script everything in between was good as long as you knew what you were talking about and acted professional. What gets me is we all know if we are calling a Indian call center, why do they make up fake names like "Bob, Jill, Jane, Mike, ect.." and just use their real name.

What gets me is we all know if we are calling a Indian call center, why do they make up fake names like "Bob, Jill, Jane, Mike, ect.." and just use their real name.

Because in Australia we have bogans, America: red necks, and when you answer the phone at 6pm on a monday night and here: "'ello, my name is Ganaraj Madanagopala, and i am calling this morning to talk about about this AMAZING!!! fat lose secret. <insert head wobble>". Your going to hand up straight away. and the steriotypes are going to get annoyed at india.

Sorry about the head wobble part, its just that im currently in a tutorial with an Indian teacher who wobbles her head ever other minute.

Back on track (kinda) for me being a student, i find it more efficeint to make my own builds, though i have nothing against store brought, or shop assembled, but i tend to by parts as i have the money, and that extra 50$ that goes into service, every time i buy a new part, would be better spent on the next new part, or buying text books for uni.

Back Back on track to the OP, Asian build, American assemble (sometimes), so Asia wins my vote.

Because in Australia we have bogans, America: red necks, and when you answer the phone at 6pm on a monday night and here: "'ello, my name is Ganaraj Madanagopala, and i am calling this morning to talk about about this AMAZING!!! fat lose secret. <insert head wobble>". Your going to hand up straight away. and the steriotypes are going to get annoyed at india.

Sorry about the head wobble part, its just that im currently in a tutorial with an Indian teacher who wobbles her head ever other minute.

Back on track (kinda) for me being a student, i find it more efficeint to make my own builds, though i have nothing against store brought, or shop assembled, but i tend to by parts as i have the money, and that extra 50$ that goes into service, every time i buy a new part, would be better spent on the next new part, or buying text books for uni.

Back Back on track to the OP, Asian build, American assemble (sometimes), so Asia wins my vote.

Are you saying that in Austrailia you have tele-marketers that are Indian? WOW.. I hate telemarketers and even did that job for like 1 week to try and pay bills, but the job sucked so bad and paid so cheap i quit. All it is, is scamming people who dont speak english well or old people and fast talking them into some product, where they record the phone convo and they say YES to things, incase a court case would happen later for the 200$+ or whatever that sale stole from some old person or person who did not understand fully what was going on during all the fast talking on the phone.. and was distracted by the "Free" item that came with the package. Dont get me wrong though, Indians are cool with me, great people and alot of great programmers there, its just I would rather see people local to me getting the jobs then them. I am sure they would probuly say the same thing, its a fight for jobs.

kinda one of the big issues with Melbourne (Australia - Victoria), We have on-shore and off-shore telemarketing, if its off shore then they go with india (its cheap) and if its on shore then they employee young indians who are studying, why? its cheap.

In Australia, almost all our telemarketing calls come from India. :(

I think we need to outsource our collections & telemarketing calls then instead of tech support, people want to work in a field that relates to what they are studying. Tech support jobs are good work experience / entry jobs for noobs to get into a deeper field. Collections and Tele-Markting is nothing but getting yelled at all day. Ghandi would be a perfect telemarketer.. if we get overflows of jobs where we have too much work and not enough employees to be employed then I totally agree with out-sourceing. But that is not the case unemployment in the US is at a all-time high rate, prob same or worse then the great depression, but they dont want you to know that. When a state says the unemployment rate is 10% that is not counting all the people who are not-eligiable for unemployment.. so really it is probuly like 20 to 30% of the people unemployed. Plus do you think people are going to work for minimum wage? ( 7$/hr) it is impossible to live on that amount of money, and has been prooven in scientific studys which I can provide. The minimum wage should be 10$ an hour and healthcare included, until the big companys start working with the employees the overall structure will suffer because I know for damn sure I am not spending 30,000$ on college for 2 years to make 12$ an hour in a tech support position, big biz in America is screwing alot of Americans over right now

I never knew there was a name for that "NATO phoetic alphabet" I used a similiar way of trying to get the girl to understand what I was saying, for example M as in Mary, A as in Adam, I as in Indian, M as in Miami, ect.. she just didnt get it. This was not dell support though who I was calling. I have never needed to call dell tech support yet.

Ahh that explains it, Dell customer service people suck, thats what I have an account manager for.

What gets me is we all know if we are calling a Indian call center, why do they make up fake names like "Bob, Jill, Jane, Mike, ect.." and just use their real name.

They don't in the UK, but we have a large Asian population so we're used to the names. TBH, for all I know the call center could be in Birmingham though.

All it is, is scamming people who dont speak english well or old people and fast talking them into some product, where they record the phone convo and they say YES to things, incase a court case would happen later for the 200$+ or whatever that sale stole from some old person or person who did not understand fully what was going on during all the fast talking on the phone.. and was distracted by the "Free" item that came with the package.

In the UK we have regulation about distance selling, any item or service you buy over the phone or from a website can be returned/canceled within a 7 working day period and there is nothing the sales person can do about it.

In the UK we have regulation about distance selling, any item or service you buy over the phone or from a website can be returned/canceled within a 7 working day period and there is nothing the sales person can do about it.

We dont have that here.. unfortunatley, unless you bought it threw paypal, and that only offers up to i think like 1000$ refund on bad shipping. here if you get f*cked then your stuck pretty much, unless you are dealing with someone that has a heart and will return your money

Well I do know about a 1up for automated telesales and the like for the US. A bill went into play last month stating that unless opted-into an automated calling system, it is illegal to receive those types of calls. How do I know? Cause where I work, we had to send out a mass automated message... explaining that they wont get the automated messages anymore unless they call in and opt in... Oh what a nightmare that was.