telnet to fon....again

i have a 2201 fon + that was running 1.1.1 r2 firmware that i downgraded to .7.1 r1 firmware. i then followed all the steps of darrens tutorial and i am hitting my snag at step 12. i have searched and read pretty much every thread relating to telnet issues at step 12. i have tried setting the ips manually and thats not working. i am using 192.168.1.254, 255.255.255.0 and finally 192.168.1.1 as the settings in windows respectively. i have also tried just letting it select the ip manually, nothing. any help? TIA.

Install the firmware rather then work through the steps, it is much easier. Once you've done that, set the IP address in windows to 192.168.1.22 with netmask of 255.255.255.0 and then you'll be able to connect to the fon on 192.168.1.1.

Those settings will work for the current setup if you've followed the instructions correctly.

Install the firmware rather then work through the steps, it is much easier. Once you've done that, set the IP address in windows to 192.168.1.22 with netmask of 255.255.255.0 and then you'll be able to connect to the fon on 192.168.1.1.

Those settings will work for the current setup if you've followed the instructions correctly.

do you mean follow the steps on your site?

if i were to do so, would that require me to have to restore the firmware back to its original state and begin again?

also, at this point, if i attempt to ping 192.168.1.1 i get destination unreachable messages, but i am able to ping 192.168.1.254 and get responses. also to get to redboot currently i have to access at 192.168.1.254 rather than 192.168.1.1 if that matters.

edit:

ok i reflashed back to the .7.1 r1, followed your instructions, looks to be running now

sweet! thanks for the info!

I do have a different question and rather than start another thread I will just pose it here.

is there a way for me to connect to the jasager control panel without initially plugging in the fon via ethernet? i havent had much time to toy with it since I finished the jasager install and I dont know how soon i will be able to toy with it, but yeah. is it possible to access the CP strictly via wifi? or must i first connect via ethernet, then once its up and running disconnect it? sorry for the n00b question :(

ok, i finally found a free minute to play around with this some more.

i am unable to access the webui without the lan cable connected.

i am unable to connect to the "findme" AP via windows.

i connected the fon to my linux powered laptop, pulled up the webui (with the lan cable connected), then i turned on my second laptop (windows box), and had it connect to the local network here, the client did not show up in the jasager webui client list.

so i have a couple of questions, 1, have i dont something wrong? lol.

2, does the jasager only work on SSIDs that are not hidden?

thanks for all your help digininja, i know these questions are pretty n00bish.

ok, i finally found a free minute to play around with this some more.

i am unable to access the webui without the lan cable connected.

I'd say that the problem is ip address related. When you connect via wireless do you set your IP address to the same as you do when you connect via wired

i am unable to connect to the "findme" AP via windows.

Have you previously connected to findme and it if so, is it set to autoconnect in your prefered network list? If not then you won't connect.

i connected the fon to my linux powered laptop, pulled up the webui (with the lan cable connected), then i turned on my second laptop (windows box), and had it connect to the local network here, the client did not show up in the jasager webui client list.

If it connects to your local network then it won't show up, it would have to connect to the Fon which could then be routed through to your local network if you set that up.

so i have a couple of questions, 1, have i dont something wrong? lol.

I think so. I think your image of how the setup works may be a bit wrong. You might want to checkout the show that we launched Jasager on again to get your head around it.

2, does the jasager only work on SSIDs that are not hidden?

Jasager doesn't care about hidden or not. Your wifi sends out probe requests for networks it knows about and the Karma patches reply to those probes.

thanks for all your help digininja, i know these questions are pretty n00bish.

If it connects to your local network then it won't show up, it would have to connect to the Fon which could then be

routed through to your local network if you set that up.

I think so. I think your image of how the setup works may be a bit wrong. You might want to checkout the show that we launched Jasager on again to get your head around it.

i think you are right, i re-read some things and im pretty sure i have the right idea about it now.

Jasager doesn't care about hidden or not. Your wifi sends out probe requests for networks it knows about and the Karma patches reply to those probes.

sweet.

I'd say that the problem is ip address related. When you connect via wireless do you set your IP address to the same as you do when you connect via wired

no, i let my router assign the ip. to try to speed things along, i just did a test (even though it may have been a waste of time). i set the ip of my wireless card to 192.168.1.22 (the same as the wired connection would be if the lan cable were connected) powered on the fon and tried to connect to the webui. i am still unable to connect via wireless. any ideas where i am going wrong here? i didnt install openwrt that i know of, when i re-flashed to the stock fonera firmware, i just installed your firmware over it. could this have something to do with the issue or would that be something that is only related to ICS?

Have you previously connected to findme and it if so, is it set to autoconnect in your prefered network list? If not then you won't connect.

i had not connected to it before, i was reading thru various threads and you had mentioned it in a recent thread so i tried to connect to it but no dice. is this a problem?

The way Jasager works is to listen for probe requests from wifi devices then accept them regardless of what ESSID they are looking for. If you've never connected to an AP with ESSID of findme then your laptop won't be probing for it so Jasager won't see it and so won't respond.

I can't remember if there is a dhcp server running on my firmware by default or not, I never use it. If not then you'll have to assign a static IP on the wifi interface.

What ESSID are you connecting to when you connect via wifi? Does it definitely get a connection?

The way Jasager works is to listen for probe requests from wifi devices then accept them regardless of what ESSID they are looking for. If you've never connected to an AP with ESSID of findme then your laptop won't be probing for it so Jasager won't see it and so won't respond.

I can't remember if there is a dhcp server running on my firmware by default or not, I never use it. If not then you'll have to assign a static IP on the wifi interface.

What ESSID are you connecting to when you connect via wifi? Does it definitely get a connection?

when i connect at home using test machines i connect to my home client. that part is working, it shows up in the jasager page as well. i think the only thing i need to resolve is being able to access the jasager page without having LAN connected.

i really would prefer to run off of DHCP, so would there be a way for me to verify if there is a dhcp server running on your firmware?

Which way do you want the DHCP to run? If you want it on the fon then the easiest way is to connect to it either via wired or wifi and then request an address, see what comes back. If you want the fon to get its address from dhcp then you need to run your own dhcp server and then edit /etc/config/network and change the proto from static to dhcp for the lan.