Linux on Continental Airlines!

lopez1364

I was on a flight back with Continental Airlines from South America when my seat monitor had to be reset and I was very pleased to see tuxedo penguin staring at me telling me everything was gonna be alright. A note to those other O/S's; you want to impress me then do it at 30,000 feet in the air.

cb5e8f0d93a44d8e9f44bac.th.jpg

1245f45dd25b4821828a457.th.jpg

Rather than having any interest in trying to spark an OS war (as DarkBlueBox mentioned, Windows has been used in such systems too), I'm more curious about the hardware in those systems. All I can really see in those screenshots is reference to some form of flash storage and ethernet, but I can only begin to guess at what else is in there...

Saw a client about 2 years ago who had his conversion server running basic and no it wasn't a emulator....had a old commodore64 system and said that it worked great for years and years. Fought me to give it up when the drive failed and did pay $750.00 for data recovery and restoration.

All i could say was WOW!

I also am very interested in what other goodies were loaded on that plane o/s...muhahaaha

While searching for a clip from the TV show alias i found this in relevance :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4yABv0hbg8

We still run a IBM AS400, it's 25+ years old... it scares the shit out of me.

yeah we still run AS400 too as did tesco the other day when I was in there.. and another local supermarket I know of. I know it's old but it works and to be fair it's quite a locked down system too.

yeah we still run AS400 too as did tesco the other day when I was in there.. and another local supermarket I know of. I know it's old but it works and to be fair it's quite a locked down system too.

I had to pick a parcel up from UPS and I noticed they had one or two black and green screens I recognised

thats pretty epic i would love to see linux boot up 30,000 feet in the air <3

the self check machines in walmart run xp and the baby registring service station at target (sat there and watched a worker try to get the blue screen of death off with out a keyborad or access the the accual machine xD

• 1 month later...
A lot of power plants still run Win98 on their control computers. Also a lot of atm machines are running OS2 Warp.

Hey beakmyn, what's the oldest os you've seen large systems running?

AS 400

We're replacing a plant that runs on Mod 300 (circa 1984). Yep the whole plant runs off this one machine. It pre-dates the AS400.

I've got a another client that is still running DOS, NT4, Win 3.1

@Wetwork. Listening to the pilots on the earphones is not a hack. It's announced by the flight attendents! "If you'd like to listen to the air crew conversation it's on channel 9. However it is as the discretion of the pilot to turn it on or off"

• 2 weeks later...
AS 400

We're replacing a plant that runs on Mod 300 (circa 1984). Yep the whole plant runs off this one machine. It pre-dates the AS400.

I've got a another client that is still running DOS, NT4, Win 3.1

@Wetwork. Listening to the pilots on the earphones is not a hack. It's announced by the flight attendents! "If you'd like to listen to the air crew conversation it's on channel 9. However it is as the discretion of the pilot to turn it on or off"

which is basically saying "if shit goes down and the headphone goes silent, youll know"