Existing system virtualisation

KeelBug

Hey guys,

I've messed around with VMs quite a bit in the past but only from fresh installations.

What I'm after is to virtualise my laptop as I'm getting rid of it after the weekend and don't really have the time to move all my settings for my apps to my Desktop(s).

So I'd like to use it in a VM until I get around to buying a new laptop and just migrate everything over then.

I've done the standard browse around the net for a guide and such but have yet to find something that suits my needs, is there a pretty basic approach to this?

Cheers.

Hey guys,

I've messed around with VMs quite a bit in the past but only from fresh installations.

What I'm after is to virtualise my laptop as I'm getting rid of it after the weekend and don't really have the time to move all my settings for my apps to my Desktop(s).

So I'd like to use it in a VM until I get around to buying a new laptop and just migrate everything over then.

I've done the standard browse around the net for a guide and such but have yet to find something that suits my needs, is there a pretty basic approach to this?

Cheers.

if you are running an ESXi or VMWare server, VMWare has a free tool that you can turn any phyiscal system into a vm with a few clicks. Matt did an episode on it last season i think that it was from this episode http://www.hak5.org/episodes/episode-512

check it out