Archlinux livecd that can be booted from iso

godane

I been working on a archlinux livecd for the last year and a half. I release new isos every week or so since archlinux is a rolling distro. After watching 5x24 episode i started making my archiso-live project work with booting from iso. This is so i could use the iso file in my multipass usb stick. I also added some other boot options to added software to iso on boot.

My archiso-live project uses archlinux intramfs + slax initrd as a squashfs+lzma module. This makes it work with archlinux kernel without having to build things into the kernel. I added a boot options called findiso and modpath. Modpath is so you can added modules from other devices when using findiso or booting from cd. Findiso is so you can find iso on your boot device.

here is the what you need for it to work in grub2:

menuentry "Archiso-live iso" {
    loopback loop /boot/iso/archiso-live-2009-09-11.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz elevator=deadline findiso=/boot/iso/archiso-live-2009-09-11.iso lang=en_US keyb=us load=overlay usbdelay=5 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1280x1024-32@60 session=xfce nohd modpath=modules
    initrd (loop)/boot/initrd.img
}

You can make packages into modules with arch2lzm command in shell.

pacman -Sy
arch2lzm pkg package-name

I hope this helps.

NOTE: linux-live scripts don't work with kernel 2.6.29 and up. This is only with if you try to build a kernel based slax kernel config. Some reason the normal way linux-live worked before doesn't do it anymore for newer kernels.

My scripts doesn't cause this problem with newer kernels.

I noticed your work a while ago while looking to make my own archlinux live cd for this purpose. However, I do not want something prefabricated and would rather build my own set of packages and configs. The problem is that I can't seem to get the "archiso" hook to read my usb key and mount the squashfs(es) from a path other than the root of the device.

I would very much like to know the steps you take to create your arch-live releases. I've been pulling my hair out over this for so long it's not funny. tia

I noticed your work a while ago while looking to make my own archlinux live cd for this purpose. However, I do not want something prefabricated and would rather build my own set of packages and configs. The problem is that I can't seem to get the "archiso" hook to read my usb key and mount the squashfs(es) from a path other than the root of the device.

I would very much like to know the steps you take to create your arch-live releases. I've been pulling my hair out over this for so long it's not funny. tia

My archiso-live cd is based on different scripts then the official archiso scripts. The official archiso scripts used a text file to setup newer squashfs files i think. There is more info on my build scripts below:

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

I only discovered Arch about a year ago (in fact I only started using Linux beyond servers about two years ago) and it almost immediately became my distro of choice. I look forward to exploring your work!

On a similar topic, have you checked out the recent releases from the Chakra Project?