How to get Trinity Rescue Kit to work

cr4sh

Hey, getting Trinity to work was a real pain in the ass for me so i'm writing a guide on how to do it. Most of the resources on how to do this were already here but separated in different posts and it took a while to find all the info i needed to get it done.

So go get TRK http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?front_id=12&wpid=5

burn it to a CD using K3B, Nero or something, boot the CD and wack your target USB in. When the TRK menu comes up select the first option.

once you get to the command prompt type:

fdisk -l

You'll get a bunch of output of all the storage devices on your computer, but you're looking for your USB device in this list, it should be something (but not exactly) like this:

Disk /dev/sdd: 3961 MB, 3961520128 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0217934c

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdd1   *           1         482     3868640+   6  FAT16
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(480, 254, 63) logical=(481, 159, 62)

I know that's my USB because it's 3961 MB which is about 4gig, the size of my USB. Now you have to remember what Disk it's called. In this example my disk is called /dev/sdd

I can't stress enough that it might be different in your system and if you go ahead without checking that you'll suffer the consequences of formatting the wrong drive.

Next, type this command, making sure you substitute the /dev/sdd for your own USB address. You can also change the 900 to whatever size you like to devote to your TRK, the size is in MB. You can choose between 150-999. Warning, this will format your entire USB so best to clean everything off there first if you need it. You have to format the whole disk you can't for example target the format to /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 etc....

trk2usb -d /dev/sdd -s 900

Next, copy over what's on your new TRK USB to the root directory of your target bootable multipass USB. You'll be copying over files and folders looking like this (Ver 3.3)

autorun.inf*         initrd.trk*    ldlinux.sys*  pxelinux.cfg/  vesamenu.c32*
boot.cat*            isolinux.bin*  memdisk*      syslinux.cfg*
bootlogo.jpg*        isolinux.cfg*  memtest.x86*  trinity.ico*
disableautorun.exe*  kernel.trk*    pxelinux.0*   trk3/

next, you have to rename your USB stick to be called this or it won't work!

TRK_3-3

There's various ways to do that, in windows it's pretty easy, as for Linux you'll have to rename it using the rename command for FAT file systems. read this for a good resource on how to do it https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive obviously if you don't use Ubuntu you'll have to think about how you're going to get that package

edit your multipass menu.lst and wack this in:

title Trinity Rescue Kit
kernel /kernel.trk initrd=/initrd.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose
initrd /initrd.trk

Reboot your PC or VM and give it a shot!

So i've got some questions here about Trinity myself:

• Does Trinity HAVE to be in the root directory? Did anyone get it working in a folder?
  • Has anyone gotten trinity to work on the USB with that start up menu? This guide skips the start up menu unfortunately which would otherwise allow for easy file sharing along with other options
  • This is a little off topic but has anyone found out a way to avoid using pe2usb and grub4dos, are there commands that can be made in Linux to get the same results- like getting the mbr on the USB?
  • Has anyone found anything new they think is better or just as good as Trinity that's also a recovery utility (aside from hirens)

trk2usb -d /dev/sda -s 900

Typo, it should be /dev/sdd.

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...st&p=139322

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...st&p=139042

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic...st&p=138777

So, contrary to what you have discovered, it seems that trk2usb can be installed on a partition, not the entire device. I'm not sure if this is true though, since I haven't used TRK.

I'm quite certain that with some script manipulation you'd be able to change the directory that TRK searches for the needed files in. Theoretically, you could even change the way in which TRK searches for the files and folders in general, which means you could keep your flash drive named whatever you'd like. You'd have to look into how TRK does such things though, and you could get an idea of how to edit by taking a look at my Ophcrack tutorial.

Installing GRUB4DOS using Linux

wow that's pretty embarrassing about the typo! thanks for picking me up on it

ok i'll have to check that out and see if I can get it on a partition of the device instead then, it would look a lot cleaner.

I found ophcrack pretty easy, i've got a folder /ophcrack_root/ and also /tables/ in the root directory and I just pulled them straight from the ISO. This is kinda the cheap way to do it though.

thanks for the grub4dos link i'll check it out

what system recovery software do you use?

What I meant referring to Ophcrack was how it looks for the /tables which means you must keep the "tables" directory on the root of your drive, making it look not so nice. I edited "launch.sh" in the initial RAMdisk file used by Ophcrack though, to make it search for the tables in /.multiboot/Ophcrack/tables which means I don't need /tables anymore, making my drive a lot cleaner and more organized. You could do something like that with TRK to enable you to make it find the folders in a different location so you could keep it all in one place and not worry about keeping /trk.

As for system rescue software, usually I just backup and reinstall. If it's somebody else's computer though, and they'd rather just have me try to remove any/all viruses, malware, etc. I run Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, which catches most, if not all, infected items. I also use CCleaner to check out all startup programs. I've used TRK once, but it's not a necessity, and my drive is only 8GB, so I leave it off.

• 13 years later...