Linux gaming

Relativity

If your really into your games, why not just run a small windows install? Not like your going to need it for anything else.

As with everyone that does this then I don't use linux. If I have a multi boot there is nothing pushing me to use it.

I thought I would give Fedora Core 5 a try, so I installed it on this computer. I was trying to get DVD playback to work and then I noticed this stetment on the Fedora Core wiki "DVD video playback (of CSS encrypted DVDs) may violate the US DMCA (refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA) because it may be considered circumventing an encryption mechanism.".

How does open source DVD playback software violate the DMCA (even though I live in England, and so this doesn't applie to me) and closed source software (like PowerDVD) not viloate the DMCA? They both have to decypte the DVD to beable to play back it's content, so how does one vilote the DMCA while the other does not?

Try mplayer.

If your really into your games, why not just run a small windows install? Not like your going to need it for anything else.

As with everyone that does this then I don't use linux. If I have a multi boot there is nothing pushing me to use it.

Fair enough, tis a good point.

Personally I'm more interested in linux as a server/appliance OS than as a main desktop OS. Suse 10.1 was damn good, better than XP, but Vista is better than suse imho.

I thought I would give Fedora Core 5 a try, so I installed it on this computer. I was trying to get DVD playback to work and then I noticed this stetment on the Fedora Core wiki "DVD video playback (of CSS encrypted DVDs) may violate the US DMCA (refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA) because it may be considered circumventing an encryption mechanism.".

How does open source DVD playback software violate the DMCA (even though I live in England, and so this doesn't applie to me) and closed source software (like PowerDVD) not viloate the DMCA? They both have to decypte the DVD to beable to play back it's content, so how does one vilote the DMCA while the other does not?

This is because dvds are encrypted as we all know and programs like power dvd encrypt there source so you cant see the dvd encryption code. No linux dvd players were out until manual goldstein ? I think it was found a program that forgot to encrypt it and made his own dvd player although I belive he ended up getting slapped with law suits which the makers of fedora don't want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Jon

Emannuel Goldstein was to have been the one to do this? Gimme a break...

They reverse-engineered a program that would decode the DVD content (a Xing player or something like that. Can't remember. It contained the decryption tables or whatever). DVD Jon took the credit, but while in court he claimed some german guy helped. He was found not guilty of a crime under norwegian law (his DVD, his software, his own damned business thankyouverymuch) and they held that verdict up on appeal. The prosecuter declined the option to have the case heard by the norwegian supreme court.

The legality of his DeCSS program is still a hot issue. The _code_ is legal, as code doesn't actually _do_ anything in and of itself. Once you make a binary out of it, you end up with an encryption defeating device which is illegal in certain repressive countries. Because of this, the Linux distributors are unable to supply the public with pre-packaged dvd playing software that doesn't contain propriatery stuff for playing back DVDs.