Linux gaming

Relativity

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about switching to linux forever! Although I have used linux before and I'm fond off fedora core 5 I still love my games such as css , bf2 , wow and wc3 so if anyone could help that would be great. I've heard of emulators but I also heard it's a ton of work . Thanks .

As was mentioned by stringwray, check out Cedega(formely WineX) at http://www.transgaming.com

Cedega has come a long way in recent years, it supports most games but you do have to be prepared for a few kinks on your way to gaming heaven. Older games such as Counterstrike etc will run pretty much perfectly through Cedega. But newer games experiance quite a few problems until the bugs are worked out with emulating them.

Your biggest issue with Cedega is not going to be the buggy menus and glitchy graphics in the latest game, it will be performance. These games aren't running in their natural environment so you will need a decent computer and especially a rather good graphics card if you intend to be hitting anywhere close to the FPS you get in windows. I'm an ATI fanboy but if your serious about gaming through Cedega then your best investing in a high range Nvidia card, as ATI's Linux support is still rather lacking where performance is concerned.

You can check out the compatibility of games with Cedega in their database:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

BF2, WoW and WC3 are all officially supported by Cedega, so this means the all have pretty good compatibility and you can easily get help in running them. Half-Life 2 is officially supported, but CS:S is not, considering they're the same engine I imagine CS:S support is pretty good, haven't tried the source engine through Cedega myself.

Thanks Guys I really appreciate it. So which should I use cedega or wine ? My computer might be able to play some higher games like pong because I only have a 6800 gs 3000 veniced oced to 2.4ghz and 1 gig -0- ram . Sorry about the sarcasm . Thanks for all your help.

I believe Cedega is based on Wine, but you have to pay for it. However you are paying for the support, so you don't spend hours trying to get your machine to play the games in linux.

Its whether or not you want to pay is the question.

Well thank you guys so much. You are literally my backup hero incase hak.5 gets a bit to intoxicated! I don't mind paying for support allthough I don't like the monthly crap . I don't mind paying 15$ for 3 month support but is canceling and crap ?

If anyone could help me finding out a good multi purpose media player for fedora core 5 and help me install some things I would be eternally greatful. Sorry about being so needy.You can hit me up on aim @ Zietleben . Im really trying hard to stick with this and not run back to windows .,.

As I mentioned on Life in Hex I found it pretty tough, although TransGaming will have more experience than me. Plus, don't expect to get the sort of performance you got out of Windows.

As far as multi purpose media player, try VideoLAN Client (shortened to VLC). Visit www.videolan.org for more information. It's good because you don't need codecs. I'm not sure if it's in the yum repos, but you should be able to find an RPM on the VLC website.

What is an rpm ? I know like what it is but what does it stand for ?
Redhat Package Manager
Vlc doesn't make it for fedora core 5 but thanks anyways. And as long as I can play my games at 1024x768 im happy.
Fedora Core is based on Redhat, did you try using the redhat package?

I've had a wonderful experience with Cedega on ubuntu. HL2 CSS and UT GOTY worked great.

Better still UT2004 is Linux compatible. I know Steam is a good success story, it was the closest thing I got to work when I tried wine etc.

What is an rpm ? I know like what it is but what does it stand for ?
Redhat Package Manager
Vlc doesn't make it for fedora core 5 but thanks anyways. And as long as I can play my games at 1024x768 im happy.
Fedora Core is based on Redhat, did you try using the redhat package?

THanks.

I've had a wonderful experience with Cedega on ubuntu. HL2 CSS and UT GOTY worked great.

IM installing now thanks.

Also using wine as well.

On a final note . DAMN! The things you have to do to play an mp3 on linux tsk tsk tsk , THanks everyone for you help you awesome.

That's because Linux is trying to open it in a text edit, you need to make it executable and run it

You better make sure you

sudo chmod -R 777 /

You should never have execution problems again :lol:

Heh :roll:

hhmm.. Cedege and Wine have been mentioned, both work well, but still doens't support that much games yet. I do believe that it will in the future.

Well, there's also one option, but you will need great deal of memory here. You can use VMware. It may cost you somehting, but there are always some other ways to get a particular software.

It's an emulator, and there's a version for winblows and linux. It works as if you have it on another PC.Another great thing about it is it has a simulated LAN, whcih is also very useful when you want to try out some network apps.

You better make sure you
sudo chmod -R 777 /

You should never have execution problems again :lol:

One of my esteemed cow-orkers actually did just that on an Acceptance Test Solaris box the evening before we had a big demo to give off of it. We got a LOT of error messages in the logs from various services that the access rights were off, but it thankfully made it through the demo without much user-visible problems.

How that cow-orker was even allowed to do this stuff is another story. Let's just say that issue got fixed aswell. :)

I thought I would give Fedora Core 5 a try, so I installed it on this computer. I was trying to get DVD playback to work and then I noticed this stetment on the Fedora Core wiki "DVD video playback (of CSS encrypted DVDs) may violate the US DMCA (refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA) because it may be considered circumventing an encryption mechanism.".

How does open source DVD playback software violate the DMCA (even though I live in England, and so this doesn't applie to me) and closed source software (like PowerDVD) not viloate the DMCA? They both have to decypte the DVD to beable to play back it's content, so how does one vilote the DMCA while the other does not?

hhmm.. Cedege and Wine have been mentioned, both work well, but still doens't support that much games yet. I do believe that it will in the future.

Well, there's also one option, but you will need great deal of memory here. You can use VMware. It may cost you somehting, but there are always some other ways to get a particular software.

It's an emulator, and there's a version for winblows and linux. It works as if you have it on another PC.Another great thing about it is it has a simulated LAN, whcih is also very useful when you want to try out some network apps.

Doesn't support many games? Did you look at the database? Cedega supports hundreds of games and you can vote on what games you want support for or want support improved on. All the popular mainstream games are usually officially supported and run relatively bug free.

As far as I know VMware only has a virtual 2D graphics card, which would mean absolutely zero 3D acceleration.