New Hard drives with ESXI

nixxar

Hi , im running a ESXI 3.5 server with ubuntu server and cent os 5.3 on the same terabyte hard drive. Ive installed another 4 terabyte drives to my machine but i don't know how to add those newly installed drives to the virtual machines so that they show up within the vm so they can be accessed.

Could someone please help

Regards

Hi , im running a ESXI 3.5 server with ubuntu server and cent os 5.3 on the same terabyte hard drive. Ive installed another 4 terabyte drives to my machine but i don't know how to add those newly installed drives to the virtual machines so that they show up within the vm so they can be accessed.

Could someone please help

Regards

I'm gonna guess you put those 4 other drives on a RAID card or some other PCI expansion card. Did you check to see if those are on the vmware HAL?

I'm gonna guess you put those 4 other drives on a RAID card or some other PCI expansion card. Did you check to see if those are on the vmware HAL?

there not on a raid card , just sata to the motherboard. yes there on the hal

You don't need to mess about with live CD's, just go to Configuration -> Storage -> Add Storage. From there, if ESX can see your storage array you can create a VMFS partition. Once you have done this, go to your VM and add virtual hard drives to your machine. If ESXi cannot see the array then you need a RAID card which is on the HCL or one that can be hacked to run with ESXi. Most consumer level hardware isn't supported as ESXi is designed to be run on enterprise level hardware.