LCD hacking - Where to begin?

anguish79

Okay, so I have a Symantec Network Security 7160 appliance. It no longer is running as it was designed, but rather I'm going to be turning it into an ESXi box for a lab (have it installed, just need to get some VM's on it).

One of the things it has is an LCD panel on the front. I'm already tired of looking at it saying Symantec on it... With that said, I'm looking to see where to even begin to get it to display something different.

Anyone got some pointers? Please?

Thanks!

Okay, so I have a Symantec Network Security 7160 appliance. It no longer is running as it was designed, but rather I'm going to be turning it into an ESXi box for a lab (have it installed, just need to get some VM's on it).

One of the things it has is an LCD panel on the front. I'm already tired of looking at it saying Symantec on it... With that said, I'm looking to see where to even begin to get it to display something different.

Anyone got some pointers? Please?

Thanks!

Find a model number of the controller chip and figure out how it's being interfaced. If you're lucky it's serial and you'll be able to interface easily using LDCProc or similar.

Okay, so I'm being a noob here. Would I expect to find the controller chip with the LCD itself? I'm assuming so. In which case, I see a couple of different chips, but I ssupect the bigger one is the one I want. I'll do some Googling and see what I can find based on the numbers. I do know there is a six pin jumper pad that wasn't being used, but knowing that the *nix variant Symantec uses for their products was able to control it, I would figure I could somehow control it as well.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sure what you want it to display, but, from what I've seen, it's a monochrome 2 line LCD display. Garanteed Symantec doesn't manufacture that LCD. It should have some other marking on it that will tell you what it is, and who makes it. After that, it should only take a lilttle more reseach to find out how to make it suit your needs. For basic information a serial port connection should do, USB would be a lot more involved.

I had it ripped apart and found quite a bit of information (ask me where I put it though). It looks like it is serial port-based. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to tear the box apart for a bit to dig further into it.

As far as what I want to display, well, anything other than "Symantec" on it is ideal at this point.. :)