VPN Trouble

MacGyver

Hello all .......about 2 weeks ago i ran across a vid on youtube featuring VPN with xp pro presented by Wess and Darren. I tried to duplicate this and I did to a point.

My setup

1. XP sp3 Home Edition

1. XP sp3 PRO

1. Belkin router

1. DSL Wwstell modem

I am able to tunnel on the LAN side of things. I tried to connect through my public IP and was not able to connect. I made an account at no-ip.org so as not to have to look up my IP address after every reboot. I then tried to connect through no-ip.org and still no joy. I did a crap load of reading and found a registry hack published by microsoft that tells the client to accept PPTP connections even though the address does not match. I really would like to make this work. any and all help is appreciated. :rolleyes:

Hello all .......about 2 weeks ago i ran across a vid on youtube featuring VPN with xp pro presented by Wess and Darren. I tried to duplicate this and I did to a point.

My setup

1. XP sp3 Home Edition

1. XP sp3 PRO

1. Belkin router

1. DSL Wwstell modem

I am able to tunnel on the LAN side of things. I tried to connect through my public IP and was not able to connect. I made an account at no-ip.org so as not to have to look up my IP address after every reboot. I then tried to connect through no-ip.org and still no joy. I did a crap load of reading and found a registry hack published by microsoft that tells the client to accept PPTP connections even though the address does not match. I really would like to make this work. any and all help is appreciated. :rolleyes:

I assume you set up port forwarding on your DSL modem AND your Router? That double routing might be a problem

How is your networks set up? Does the WESTELL provide a public IP to your Belkin Router? If so then the Belkin needs the port forwarding. If the Westell is providing NAT then both the Westell and Belkin need to have port forwarding enabled.

Can you set up DynDNS on the Westell?

Here's an idea of what I have:

Internet > DSL MODEM > PFSENSE > VPN

DSL Modem has DynDNS running so it tells dyndns my public IP

DSL Modem NATs to 192.168.7.x

DSL Modem port forwards 1194 to 192.168.7.1 (pfsense)

VPN is running on PFsense at 192.168.7.1

I also have rules to allow VPN to traverse to my LAN on 192.168.254.x (seperate enet card on pfsense box)

VPN from the LAN side only tells you the VPN is working, it doesn't check the connection from the outside in. You will have to be outside to test this. Your DSL/Belkin will not let VPN in while your physically connected from inside. Creating a circular condition.

Ok you are the man.....i forgot that a modem is not a modem anymore its a modem/router. needless to say the solution was to forward port in modem as I already did this in Belkin router. Don't know if it matters to you....but I did connect to the server through the WAN from inside the LAN .....to do so I went to the client's network connection and under network changed the Automatic drop down box to PPTP Yhanks very much for your assistance. B)