Virtualizing the whole desktop?

shift

So i splurged and ordered 8 gigs of ram and another hard drive.

Im debating trying either windows 7 or ipc(hakintosh) on the other drive..

Then i was thinking what if i turned it into a vm server and had virtual os/s worth it for a main pc or stick to full o's non visualized.

So i splurged and ordered 8 gigs of ram and another hard drive.

Im debating trying either windows 7 or ipc(hakintosh) on the other drive..

Then i was thinking what if i turned it into a vm server and had virtual os/s worth it for a main pc or stick to full o's non visualized.

If you use ESXi, you don't get to use it as PC, you must have another PC to pull a remote desktop.

If you do anything graphics related, don't virtualize it, no support or performance.

I would recommend still having a main OS for using heavy applications or games, but you can easily create some form of selection menu when you boot into your chosen main OS to give you a choice of OSs to boot next (including an option to quit and use the main OS). For example, with VirtualBox, you can run regular or headless VMs via the command line, so you could either have it boot full screen or RDP into it. If you have a server, you can use VirtualBox's RDP server to make your other machines thin clients of sorts, which would connect to the server's headless VMs via RDP. A handy feature of VBox's RDP is that it will, if your client is configured for it, change the VM's resolution to match the thin client's. For example, if I RDP into a headless Ubuntu VM with my phone, it will change the resolution to 320x240 and fit it onto my phone's LCD without scaling or scrolling, it looks and feels nearly native.