What do you use vpn for?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use vpn for?

• Creating a secure tunnel for traffic
    • Accessing your network resources, when you are not on it
    • Both
    • I don't use vpn

Howdy all,

Just set up openvpn on my gentoo server. I am having a little trouble getting clients to automatically use it as their default gateway when they connect.

Any suggestions?

(want to use openvpn to secure my traffic on untrusted networks so i no longer have to publicly expose an ssh service)

Thanks,

Jmaxxz

Howdy all,

Just set up openvpn on my gentoo server. I am having a little trouble getting clients to automatically use it as their default gateway when they connect.

Any suggestions?

(want to use openvpn to secure my traffic on untrusted networks so i no longer have to publicly expose an ssh service)

Thanks,

Jmaxxz

In your server.conf file:

push "route 192.168.254.0 255.255.255.0 #To access all ressource on the server Lan

push "redirect-gateway" #To redirect all your web traffic through your VPN

push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.254.254" #For Windows machines send DNS queries to VPN, otherwise you'll have DNS leaks

This is what I use my internal LAN is 192.168.254.x

On some systems you may need redirect-gateway def1

Add the def1 flag to override the default gateway by using

0.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.0/1 rather than 0.0.0.0/0. This has the benefit

of overriding but not wiping out the original default gateway.

Using the def1 flag is highly recommended, and is currently

planned to become the default by OpenVPN 2.1.

The easiest way to test if it's working is connect to your VPN from outside, and go to IPChicken.com and see if it shows the IP of your home connection and not your present location. I had a friend in Ohio connect through my VPN and IPChicken said was in NY.

Off site right now testing my vpn, and the windows tap interface is maxxed out at 99% usage, but the wireless interface (which the tap should be running over) is at 0% usage. Any suggestions why the tap interface is eating my packets?

Off site right now testing my vpn, and the windows tap interface is maxxed out at 99% usage, but the wireless interface (which the tap should be running over) is at 0% usage. Any suggestions why the tap interface is eating my packets?

whip out the old wireshark and do an analysis of all traffic on that particular NIC. That should let you know what is gobbling up your bandwidth

Which version of OpenVPN did you install? What is your OS? I use OpenVPN 2.1_rc15 on Vista without any issues.

Wow I feel stupid, I forgot to set the proto on the server.

I had proto udp on the client and nothing set on the server, so it must had defaulted to tcp.

Set them both explicly to tcp and tada the interface is no longer floored

Which version of OpenVPN did you install? What is your OS? I use OpenVPN 2.1_rc15 on Vista without any issues.

yep I am also on the RC had the stable version for awhile, but as you say the network tap does not work in vista (and win7 which I am using)

@ jmaxxz,

I have been searching for a good written tutorial for setting up OpenVPN to use as a tunnel to secure traffic for quite sometime. Hoping hak5 would do a segment on it.

My current LAN is all windows based, Vista, XP and 2k3, soon to add some sort of *nix box. Would love to see a good tutorial. From what I hear it's a real pain to setup and configure.

@ jmaxxz,

I have been searching for a good written tutorial for setting up OpenVPN to use as a tunnel to secure traffic for quite sometime. Hoping hak5 would do a segment on it.

My current LAN is all windows based, Vista, XP and 2k3, soon to add some sort of *nix box. Would love to see a good tutorial. From what I hear it's a real pain to setup and configure.

As soon as I get this tunnel working as I want I will post something explaining what I had to do to get it working.

Accessing network resources over it was not too bad, but setting up a secure tunnel for internet traffic is turning out to be a real pain.

I thought hak5 said something recently at the end of one of their shows about doing a segment on openvpn. ...but I could be wrong