ITT Technical Institute

The Sorrow

I've known a few people that have graduated from there, if you know what you're doing going in, you may do alright. They didn't and when they came out they had a nice shiny degree but kept getting fired b/c they didn't know what they were doing. Currently I'm having to go through a traditional school to get a degree b/c around here if you don't have a bachelors degree, you wont even get an interview for an entry-level IT position, even with A+, N+, Sec+, and 11yrs field experience. I also know some companies wont even look at someone with a trade-school degree. Now I'm not saying all companies are like that, and everyone that comes out of ITT, Devry, ECPI, etc are idiots, this is just my experience from this area.

I've never heard of any real success stories, only that it costs way more than it should. Imo you would be better of getting as many certs as possible since they actually prove that you know stuff, not that you passed some course at a trade school.

I'm currently in a community college pending my assoc. degree, and then I'm going for my CCNA and MCSE. MAY go for my A+ but.. does anyone even look at that anymore? if they do I'll just cram for two days and go take it (hell may not even have to do that).

Evidently it's good enough to work for NASA and the Army core of engeneers...

MAY go for my A+ but.. does anyone even look at that anymore? if they do I'll just cram for two days and go take it (hell may not even have to do that).

well, the A+ cert is kinda the most basic repair cert, although I know people who are A+ certified and still call me to do basic hardware repairs (drive upgrades, lcd replacement, new mobo transplanting, etc), I walked in, took the tests in two sessions and got my A+ IT cert, pretty much did the same with the other two I have as well. I also know that a lot of place won't even bother with ya unless you have A+, for instance, you cant even get a job at the geek squad w/o one or the promise to get one within like 90 days IIRC. I technically could go to work there if I didn't have mobility problems, that's all the last place I worked for required and that was a subcontractor for IBM/Lenovo & Dell doing their on-site warranty work. I guess it really depends on what type of job you are going for. While I was working there I got to see the inside of large IT dept's and asked around to find out what it took to get in those places, most everyone said the same thing, degree, comptia certs, mcse... oh and having a relative on the inside helps too LMAO

I also know that a lot of place won't even bother with ya unless you have A+, for instance, you cant even get a job at the geek squad w/o one or the promise to get one within like 90 days IIRC.

LMAO! That sure isn't the case here! Here if you are certified you don't get hired by GS. They hire all the tech school "graduates" that couldn't pass the A+. That's ok though, I get plenty of business when they screw up or just plain don't know how to do something. ;)

Along the lines of what DigitalManiak said, you have to know your stuff (and be able to show it). The tech school here passes everyone (they don't get money if they flunk your ass!)

In my experience: Computer Science people - go for the degrees. Technicians and the sort - certs are where it is at.

I used to work for BestBuy in the tech department, before the geek squad, I was the last tech hired at our store w/o A+ cert (which I got a few years later, I'd been a tech 8 years before getting it) so I'm sure they technically have it, but they just don't know how to do anything. I also got a lot of business from their screw-ups when I had my shop. Anyone can get certified, Pass4Sure makes it easy, just take that practice test until you pass it 100% then go take the real test. I had several GS employees tell me that's how they got their certs.

Well, perhaps they changed their policy, but when they went from "Best Buy Tech Services" to the "Geek Squad" my former co-workers were told they had 90 days to get A+ certified or they would be transferred to another dept because PC manufacturers required that certification to do warranty work. By that time I'd gone to work at an independent shop and when that place closed I tried to get my job back at Best Buy and they told me I would have to get A+ certified or work the sales floor. Then 9mo ago when I was working as an IBM/Lenovo on-site field service tech I had to replace a mobo in a Geek Squad repair center in a BBY and thats when I had a GS "agent" tell me about them taking the Pass4Sure tests and they were all A+ certified, yet they thought I was performing voo-doo when I flashed the BIOS on the board to imprint the model/serial number. That's the information I'm going on.

Dahhh... how do you put it... it doesn't matter how nice your paint set is, if your not an artist your painting will suck, and if you really are a good artist, then you will paint a masterpiece no matter what you have in your paint set.

What I am trying to say is that it's all about you, not about your degree or certs. You don't need a job to be successful. In today's environment I would actually recommend against having one - your just going to use the job as a crutch, your boss will own you, and if you were to ever loose the job you would get fucked. This is a service business and if your a skilled tech then you can sell your services on your own. Start with the nationals, sign up for onforce, installittoday, feildsolutions, whatever has work. Those guys won't pay well but they will get you started and if your good, the doors will open for you. Next put out the word that you do tech work, put up flyers, take out a phone book add, use craigslist, whatever. Just build your customer base, again, if your good, doors will open and good things will happen. You just have to get out there and start doing it. Its a great time to be a freelance tech, contract jobs and outsourcing are on the rise and full time tech positions are on the decline. I think to go out and try and get a job right now is a horrible move.

Well, independent tech shops are closing right and left around here, nobody is using them and I'm not the only tech with over 10yrs exp out of work even ones with MS & Cisco certs. The only shops willing to pay on the books only offer $10/hr. I'm already in enough trouble with the IRS over someone paying me contract labor and not telling me.

I was saying don't take a job - and definitely don't open up a storefront... idk we are not on the same page.

When it comes to taxes you will know if you’re a contract or a real employee because if you were an employee you would have to sign a w2 before you start working. If you do work without signing a w2 then it is your responsibility to report your earnings to the IRS not whoever hired you - you can't pass that blame to anyone else. What do you mean he didn't tell you, he either gave you a w2 to sign or he didn’t lol.

The advice I was trying to give was for you to work independently, out of your house. Sign up at sites such as onforce.com and start running calls. They will pay 40-70/hr on average and will lead to better work and direct work. When you find direct customers you can bill them out at 75+/hr depending on your market and what service you are providing.