MD5 hash cracking

FireStarter

Ok so i have this assignment at school and i am having trouble breaking this MD5 hash with cain&able i have looked around and im beginning to end up lost.

anyone who helps me crack this hash will get credit in my class for your amazing skills =)

This password is 16 characters all lower case

73b3a8daf0abdd9b98f5626056525f50

Ok so i have this assignment at school and i am having trouble breaking this MD5 hash with cain&able i have looked around and im beginning to end up lost.

anyone who helps me crack this hash will get credit in my class for your amazing skills =)

Running the hash through JtR for a couple hours, we'll see what happens.

No Luck so far, I'll start it up again tonight after I go to bed.

::EDIT::

I let JtR run for 8 hours on 16 length passwords and lowercase, no luck. Dunno what to tell ya.

Core 2 duo @ 2.5ghz although I don't think it utilizes both cores.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"school assignment" "breaking this MD5 hash" "credit in my class for your amazing skills "

Honestly?

If you want help, you don't need to lie about it.

• 1 month later...

Not to be very sceptical, but....

16 lowercase digits makes 16^26 possible combinations.

That's about 2*10^31. Let's suppose you can try 1 000 000 000 passwords a second (which you probably cannot), then you need around 6*10^14 years to try all possible combinations...

Conclusion - forget about bruteforcing. Either try a dictionary attack or (better) try to somehow bypass the password or (best) use social engineering to get it another way.